Re: Asteroid impacts

Your point?
Yes, 65 million years is a really really long ass time.
Yes, we will never be absolutely certain what happened.
BTW, I read Boyle's book.
Pretty good book actually, but like you said, it's fiction.
So what do you think happened?
Do you have some insight the rest of us don't?

"East Texas" wrote

The Discovery Channel aired a show about impacts throughout the ages,
offering a new hypothesis about how Chixilub could have caused such a
global
result. The claim is that as the impact debris rained down through the
atmosphere it generated sufficient heat to raise the temperature on the
surface to several hundred degrees, killing vitually all the land dwelling
animals. The show then speculated that the remaining matter, mostly dust,
blocked out the sun for about six years, killing plankton and decimating
life in the oceans.
While this would explain why certain specific species survived, it seems a
bit contrived. The problem I had with this hypothesis is that there have
been a number of titanic impacts throughout the ages, at least two of them
larger than Chixilub based on crater size, but they did not produce
comparable results. Still, the elemental makeup of the Chixilub rock might
have differred enough to account for this discrepancy.
I don't think we can ever really 'know' what happened back then. We do
know,
for a fact, that the dinos didn't make it through the K-T boundary.
Boyle's
book Full Circle begins with an ELE pandemic fifty thousand years before
the
Chixilub event, and while it's only fiction, it explains the results as
well
as the program on Discovery. Furthermore, it would leave no evidence
behind.
A giant solar flare is another possibility, but I think we would find
evidence of irradiation. Anyway, the big lizards had a helluva long run,
but
we will probably never be absolutely certain what happened to them.

.