Re: Possible evidence for Stone Age (Clovis) Cosmic Catastrophe?

In sci.archaeology message
news:7bg5n1d1kqe078nu093u9gik70ar7tdlbl@xxxxxxx by Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens@xxxxxxxxx> . . . :

> But these orbits precess
> http://star.arm.ac.uk/~aac/zetataur.html
> "Precession bringing orbits to intersection with Earth or
> Mars
> [***] is not just relevant from the point of view of meteors
> being detectable. The orbits of asteroids and comets can
> also be brought to Earth intersection by planetary
> precession, of relevance to the Earth impact hazard ."
>
> It is this precesion which brings periodic episodes of
> bombardment as the plane of the earth's orbit crosses over that
> of the comet's. This is the mechanism at the heart of the
> astronomical theory of coherent catastrophism.

And on this I agree, in the same way we can get space craft out of
the solar system using planetary gravities, so can comets be drawn
into new orbits. We don't actually have to see those orbits for this
to occur and old comets can be brought into lower orbits were they
random walk into the path of earth, taking 10,000s or millions of
years.

The site is hokey however.

This map is fun.

http://szyzyg.arm.ac.uk/~spm/local_map.html

Like walking through a minefeild.

I have to say one thing about the site particularly the risk
assesment page. http://star.arm.ac.uk/slides/nh/test.html

If one were to look at disasters in 2005 it would be a pretty
terrible year for humans. 220,000 or so people are dead or missing
from the tsunami, no one really knows for sure because entire
communities were wiped of the face of the earth. The cost per lost
was not very high, then there is the hurricanes that hit Louisiana,
mayble 2000 dead the cost per person lost was very high. Then we have
the 90,000 dead in Pakistan, the cost per loss is relatively low.
Risk of death very much depends where a disaster hits and risk of
loss is inversely proportion to risk of death for the same
catastrophe. But loss of life from catastrophes is actually very low
on average 6 billion people on the earth, if 100,000 die as a result
of catastrophes per year over and average 60 year lifespan that is
0.1 % of the worlds population. And the big killers are wars, where
millions of people often die. World war II for instance saw the death
of 50,000,000 people thats 500 years of catastrophes.
Which gets me back to the point, what are meteors that hit the
earth going to do, they can hit near shore and cause a tsunami,
killing hundreds along the coast, like the christmas tsunami, but,
wait, most of the animals did not die, they knew what was coming and
ran away. The meteor or comet could hit them, or cause large fires
like the 1930 brazil 'event'. However, all animals large and small
are at risk, and actually elephants have a huge migratory capability
and so they could travel non stop hundreds of miles to avoid objects.
In addition they are more likely to survive smaller ejecta hitting
them.

.