Re: Atlantis = The Sea People?

On 30 Dec 2005 01:58:00 -0800, in sci.archaeology, lorad474@xxxxxx wrote:

>Can you provide a summary of your percieved differences?
>
>http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~reli205/nathan_dolmens/dolmens.html
>
>http://www.christusrex.org/www1/ofm/fai/FAIzone.html ... looks fairly
>typical.

Obviously if we are speaking only of dolmen, the term defines a certain
type of megalithic monument. But there can be huge differences -- the
number of stones, the number of sides, perforations in the stones, shape
of the stones, associated artefacts, the presence or absence of grooves
and projections, roofs made with a single slab or double-pitched roofs,
the landscape context, etc.

Thus you can find some chambered tombs in Palestine with circular or
four-sided perforations, and some without. Which ones, I wonder, are
being referred to by Dieter? And you can find similarities between some
Palestinian chambered tombs and some in Pakistan -- but Dieter doesn't
mention those.

There must be thousands of different kinds. I can't summarise the
differences, there are too many varieties. And is Dieter including, for
instance, the Naoumi of Sinai? Not quite dolmens they are round, oval,
rectangular or square monuments with a false-corbelled roof and a square
door and up to 3 meters in height. No established dating (although
relatively young), there seems to be nothing like them in Europe.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com