Re: Another Linux Question

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:20:39 -0500, Jim Shaffer <jmshaffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

If you want to dispense with the bloat of X on your Windows system,
run a VNC server on the Linux box and a VNC client on Windows.

Hi Jim-

I do use VNC to connect to my Linux machine, which doesn't even have a
monitor attached. But VNC has some limitations in terms of support for
24-bit color, and I don't find image processing across it to work very
well. So I normally have IRAF open an X window on my PC.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

  • Re: Windows Independant GUI
    ... Subject: Windows Independant GUI ... I can't say I dislike VNC... ... You are right upon the terminal services but with regards to the user ... Cenzic Hailstorm finds vulnerabilities fast. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Apple Remote Desktop, anybody?
    ... understand via heresay that ARD can control a windows (or Linux) ... compatible with a VNC enabled pc? ... Timbuktu for Mac and Windows (does ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Making VNC behave like Windoze RDP
    ... SSH tunnel, but I might try Cygwin too. ... > This allows you to connect via vnc, run programs, disconnect, then ... >> While I'm on the subject, is anyone aware of a better remote desktop ... > And by just sending the windows of the particular programs you want to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: PDA as "X terminal"
    ... just frame change detection and compression). ... the VNC server will know that; ... this will be done with all the overlapping live windows etc. ... what my vnc server does compression for. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: VNC - How do I type # ? (and other questions)
    ... 1hd325i.1wu5tk9zx69szN%black.hole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jon B" ... work in Chicken of the VNC. ... The server (Windows XP) ends up seen a plain old 3. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)