Re: How to disassemble eyepiece of binocular

Frank van der Borden wrote:
I just got an old binocular (Paralux 8x30). The eyepiece that can be
adjusted is stuck. Is there someone who can help me (maybe with
pictures) to disassemble the eyepiece. <snip> Any help is
appreciated

The classic - now out-of-print book in this area is:

Choosing, using, and repairing binoculars by J. W Seyfried. Univ.
Optics. 1995

I was suprised to learn that my copy of this little phamplet is now
going for $100 on Amazon.com.

There is another more reasonably priced guide, that I have not read, on
the web:

Repairing & Adjusting Binoculars by "AIII Service Notes"
http://www.montysmagic.com/bin.html

You bear the risk of damaging your equipement by following these
instructions. Without examining your model of binocular, it is not
possible to exactly say how to take it apart. If you have a friend
with an old pair of binoculars that they want to throw out, I recommend
practicing first on a pair that you feel okay about destroying.

From your description I am unsure if the stuck part refers to:

1) The eyepiece bracket assembly, which moves to change the focus of
both eyepieces, will not move at all.

2) The right-hand eyepiece, which rotates on its own to allow
independent fine adjustment of the focus of the right eye, will not
rotate.

I assume we are talking about a pair of classic binoculars that looks
something like the Paralux Atlas 8 x 30 binoculars illustrated on this
commercial website:
http://www.the-eye-shop.com/EN/produit.aspx?categ=2&id_pdt=29068

If you have a modern design pocket binocular, like those illustrated at
the following commercial website, these instruction will not apply:
http://www.the-eye-shop.com/EN/produit.aspx?categ=2&id_pdt=29450

These instructions should cover disassembly to cover problems #1 and
#2, above, in the classic binocular design. Presumably, disassembly,
cleaning and lubrication will free whatever is stuck.

As always, digitally photograph and number the parts as you remove
them, so you can put things back together again in reverse order.

For the classic design binocular, typically there is the central axis
of the binoculars around which the two tubes pivot. Hold the
binoculars so that objectives are pointing towards you. There is a
small cap on the end of the central axis. Unscrew this cap.
Underneath, you will see a insert with a slot in it. With a screw
driver, remove the insert.

You will now be looking down the hollow tube of the central axis pivot.
At the bottom of this tube is small screw. You will need a long small
screw driver (which you may have to specially purchase at a hardware
store) to reach down into the tube and to remove the screw. The screw
will probably have a Phillips head on it.

Now turn the binoculars over and look at the eyepiece end. In all
probability, there is another cap and another screw on the eyepiece end
of the pivot arm. Remove these.

Once these are removed, the entire eyepiece assembly, with both
eyepieces and the bracket that attaches them to the central pivot,
should come off.

Remove the eyepiece pad off the eyepiece. Now inspect the eyepiece and
eyepiece bracket, looking for a small set screw on the side or a
locking ring on the back that holds secures the right eyepiece onto the
bracket. There may also be a locking ring on the front of the bracket
at the base of the eyepiece.

- Canopus56

P.S. - It is probably best to find a binocular repair expert and spend
the money to have it professionally done.

.