Re: U.S. running out plutonium to power spacecraft

On Dec 26, 12:09 am, Rich <rander3...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Going to attach solar cells the size of football fields to probes
now? This is very bad.

http://arizonageology.blogspot.com/2009/05/running-out-of-plutonium-t...

I think that article is overly pessimistic, and somewhat narrow,
check this out, (using Americium),
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/01/010103073253.htm

((Btw I've used Americium to test Gamma Ray Imagers, it's easy))

I've been considering collecting up used smoke detectors to heat
and power the house with, they use Americium, an in home
reactor.
What do you think?
Ken

  • Re: U.S. running out plutonium to power spacecraft
    ... and power the house with, they use Americium, an in home ... Drop an Am powered reactor into your home and you're off the grid for ... I'd like to "get rid" of them, but by force-feeding them a strong alpha ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: U.S. running out plutonium to power spacecraft
    ... power your MP3 player. ... So that's around 200 million smoke detectors ... just one smoke detector contains enough americium to kill you if you ... Drop an Am powered reactor into your home and you're off the grid for ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)