Re: Pluto: A Complex and Changing World : Big Pictures and a real article

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:03:43 -0800, Thad Floryan <thad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

<http://news.discovery.com/space/pluto-high-resolution-hubble.html>

Our solar system has glamorous planets: ringed Saturn, multicolored Jupiter,
and ruddy red Mars. But arguably one of the most popular worlds for the public
is the tiny and distant Pluto.

snip

Which all goes to show that Pluto promises to be a very interesting
place. As far as I'm concerned, the IAU's distinction of "planet" and
"dwarf planet" is a distinction without a difference.

  • Re: Old Tea Leaf Reviews 18: 1998 Locus Poll Best First Novel
    ... (These are humans -- there turns out to be tech involved.) ... Ontario, different planet -- I'm not seeing the distinction you're ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Pluto
    ... even though the term implies it. ... Recall that the primary criterion is the dynamical condition that a planet dominate it's orbit in such a way that the vast majority of smaller bodies have been removed... ... Yet we seem to need some distinction between the major and minor bodies, or we'd end up with hundreds and maybe even thousands of planets in a world where people want the term "planet" to mean something more restricted. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: Pluto
    ... is a planet of the terrestrial class and Jupiter is a planet of the gas ... This particular classification wasn't very well thought out. ... Looking at the data, this is in fact a very clear distinction, even if the IAU failed to clearly include that distinction in their new definition. ... Astronomical Software Developer ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS . . . .
    ... credit to the idea that Jesus Christ has to be on the short list of ... the most humans on this planet for that distinction. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)