Best source for star position data?

Hi,

Is there a de-facto standard source for star position data? As a
learning exercise I am trying to build a web hosted program to display
the stars near Earth in 3D rotatable display.

I have found the (YBSC) Yale Bright Star Catalog, but this only
contains stars above a certain magnitude and many of the stars lack
parallax data (so, I can not calculate distance).

I have also found Davis Nash's HYG (Hipparcos, Yale, Gliese) catalog,
but that lacks a lot of the supplemental data included in YBSC.

Is there a standard database of star positions used by modern
astronomers?

Thanks,
John

  • Re: Learning The Night Sky
    ... In real life I haven't thought much about LST in years. ... known star and proceed from there rather than star-hop all the way. ... that display the phase of the moon. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • FS: Very Nice Data East DMD Display - $75 shipped to US
    ... This is the part number 520-5042-00, and this display is from a Star ... Trek 25th Ann. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • FS: Very Nice Data East DMD Display - $65
    ... This is the part number 520-5042-00, and this display is from a Star ... Trek 25th Ann. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • F14 Tomcat bad 1st alphanumeric display??
    ... I just repaired my F14 Tomcat,which is my second pinball after DE Star ... The only issue is that all displays play great except the first one ... As i looked it closely the pins of the display have brown traces,the ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: random stars draw but most out of my view
    ... How can I get them to display in ... That is, it runs before the panel even gets displayed, so it's possible that the size is actually, indicating that there is no size, because the panel is not visible yet. ... How come sometimes you use MAXPOINTS and other times you use 10? ... I might otherwise think you mean the maximum number of points a star can have ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)