Re: Solar winds produce X-ray auroras on Earth too!

Dear Harri Tavaila:

"Harri Tavaila" <en.sano@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" <dlzc1@xxxxxxx> wrote in
$f36.2082@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

-clip-

In the wintertime, the Southern polar "ozone hole" is
larger than the northern polar "ozone hole" when it is
winter there. I had assumed, based on my faulty
memory (let's state that is "fact"), that additional
hydrogen was being directed southwards, and that
was the reason the southern hole was larger.

You probably don't have a "dog in this race", but do
you have any ideas why this is so? Is it only
because there is generally more surface water in the
southern hemisphere?

The catalytic effect of CFCs is strongly affected by
temperature: the colder it is the more efficiently they
are able to break down ozone.

Do you have a citation for this? Most chemical reactions are
sped up by increased temperature.

Temperatures above Antarctica are lower than those
above Arctic in respective atmospheric layers and
therefore southern ozone layer is more severly damaged
during the local winter.

http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/facts/hole.html
.... down to the portion labelled "Stratospheric clouds and ozone"

That is water, and why is there more in the South than in the
North? For that matter, why are there more polar clouds now than
in the past?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I have (apparently)
bollixed up something I was working on, and I'd like to make sure
I don't muck it up more than I already have.

David A. Smith

.