Re: James Watson and the Monkey Test

"Douglas Clark" <dgdclynx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fjmh0s$ag7$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Tim Tyler" <seemysig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fjig0f$1f7f$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ragland31@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I heard about the alledgedly racist comments of James Watson; I have
not read them but assume he holds the conviction "Whites" are more
intelligent than "Blacks". If that not be the case then please some
poster provide the proper context.

The article that caused the fuss:

"The elementary DNA of Dr Watson"

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2630748.ece

Watson isn't permitted to get a whole sentence out. Instead his comments
are presented as a patchwork of sentence fragments. These are then
juxtaposed with a quote from Watson's book - apparently to make it look
as though Watson thought the inequalities he was discussing had a
genetic basis.

The resulting fiasco in the press has been capably analysed -
in the article:

James Watson Tells the Inconvenient Truth: Faces the Consequences.

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2007/10/james-watson-tells-inconvenient-truth_296.php
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ tim@xxxxxxxxxxx Remove lock to reply.

Thanks for posting this Tim. For me, after reading Flynn's new book, I am
prepared to accept his argument that environmental factors between
generations outweigh hereditary factors within generations. He extends
this
argument to explain much of IQ divergence although, obviously, some
genetic
inheritance cant be over-ruled. But much can be explained this way. I am
sorry that he doesnt discuss the case of the Ashkenazi Jews in the book,
but
the Chinese etc get some coverage. Re sub-Saharan I believe only a Founder
effect due to the tribe crossing into the Yemen (around 70-80,000 years
ago)
from whom we are all descended could be a last resort explanation. Re
races
US miscegenation surely rules out heredity as the basis of black/white
differences in the US. Flynn is kind to Jensen but says it is time to move
on.

[Just a few thoughts from me. I approached the very disorganised and
rambling Flynn book with an open mind. But he does produce a solid
theoretical argument to chew on]

Does the new Wisconsin paper change everything? I printed it off but
unfortunately it is too technical for me.

  • Re: James Watson and the Monkey Test
    ... Watson isn't permitted to get a whole sentence out. ... are presented as a patchwork of sentence fragments. ... genetic basis. ... rambling Flynn book with an open mind. ...
    (sci.bio.evolution)
  • Re: James Watson and the Monkey Test
    ... intelligent than "Blacks". ... poster provide the proper context. ... Watson isn't permitted to get a whole sentence out. ... are presented as a patchwork of sentence fragments. ...
    (sci.bio.evolution)