Re: i'm looking for a simple substance that dissolves well in water

darluzo wrote:

> Salt is a pretty firm crystal, it doesn't dissolve quickly enough. I
> haven't tried grinding it into powder, that would probably make it
> dissolve instantaneously. The problem is that, to be able to model
> shapes from salt i think i have to moist it first, then it just hardens
> into a formation and dissolves very slowly.
>
> I thought about mixing salt with something that would help the firm
> formation dissolve faster. I don't know, i think hydrogenperoxide
> should dissolve well. Do you think mixing the salt with it's solution
> when building the model would do any good?
>
> I can't use ice because the model has to be lasting.
> By dry ice do you mean carbondioxide?
>
> -- ice with entrapped air would be white and disappear faster --
> What are the simplest ways of making foam like stuff

Mix powdered NaCl table salt that is insoluble in acetone with
powdered NaI that *is* soluble in acetone (gonna have hyroscopic
problems, but what the Hell) and high pressure consolidate or extrude
a solid block. You now have an interpenetrating composite of two
bonded lattices. Carve. Leach with acetone. This leaves an
exceptionally porous yet structurally robust NaCl skeleton that will
rapidly dissolve in water. You vary the amount of NaCl vs. NaI to
control the amount of porosity. You vary the particle size (e.g.,
ball milling) to control the size of porosity.

NaCl, NaBr, and NaI flow like molasses under high pressures otainable
with unremarkable hydraulic presses.

Conceivably one could substitute a combo of *dry* 1:2 mole-mole citric
acid and sodium bicarbonate for the NaI, mix with NaCl, then high
pressure consolidate the NaCl. Carve. When the finished product hits
water it will fizz and disintegrate. Ditto instead adding Pop Rocks,
though that will be pricey unless you can source bulk stuff.

Umpolung! Minimal sugar plus NaI, heat to modest temp to sinter the
sugar, carve, leach the NaI with organic solvent. You now have a
porous sugar form. Ditto the fizzies, too.

Uncle Al would also add a few ppm of sodium fluorescein (uranine) or
other water-soluble fluorescent dye. Give the mob a show before and
after.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

  • Re: Salt in pool
    ... salt ... they only had 400Lbs he said to put the bags of salt in the pool and spread ... The water is pretty cold; maybe it's just to cold to dissolve the bags? ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: salt deposits
    ... inboard to dissolve salt deposits and/or blockage in the water jacket? ... It's not salt, which easily dissolves in fresh water. ... just take her for a spin up some freshwater river and it would dissolve ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • Re: Preliminary yields
    ... It is perfectly OK to run a Chlorate cell saturated, in fact I run mine with solid salt at the bottom. ... You just top-up with water as you go, the reaction consumes about 100 ml of water per mole of Chlorate produced, or about 2/5s of the volume of the ... water required to dissolve the salt will be electrolysed away in the process. ...
    (rec.pyrotechnics)
  • Re: Have we talked about salt?
    ... Cooks Illustrated prefers kosher salt for salting meat before ... it doesn't dissolve as readily at room temperature as ... before cooking then you WANT it to dissolve. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: solubility of ionic salts but not in water
    ... >is it possible to dissolve ionic salts like NaCl in other solvents than ... Not sure about solubility data (amount ... so something like NaCl should do the same. ...
    (sci.chem)