acrylic vacuum chamber

Hi, to maintain a 1 kelvin environment, one needs to isolate the
experiment with a vaccum. Not doing so would require way to much liquid
helium to attain that temperature. These chambers are usualy made of
stainless stell. However, I am considering using cheaper acrylic for
the chamber. Anyone knows how easy it is to maintain a high vacuum with
an acrylic system? I am also hoping to create an easily openable door
to manualy modify the various components that will be put inside (not
under vacuum obviously). How should I build such a door with acrylic
that can provide a seal of up to 10^-8 torr.

There is also a second problem called outgassing. Under high vacuum,
materials will evaporate a very small number of their molecules into
the air. For aluminium that number contributes to 10^-9 torr, so 10^-10
is not reachable with an aluminium system. What torr limit does acrylic
provides?

  • Re: acrylic vacuum chamber
    ... that can provide a seal of up to 10^-8 torr. ... Under high vacuum, ... materials will evaporate a very small number of their molecules into ... is not reachable with an aluminium system. ...
    (sci.chem)
  • Re: heat sink for video camera in vacuum
    ... themselves right off their mounting tabs in 10-6 torr. ... We run some gear that has up to 32 chips dissipating about half a Watt ... each in a shoebox that runs in high vacuum. ... In fact, the camera will be on the other side of the chamber, but in this ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: THis get his place on track again.
    ... that was sound off alarms at our place! ... High vacuum. ... 1*10^torr. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)