solubility of glass

I've seen it mentioned on this group a long time ago that water in a glass
vessel will very slightly attack the glass. In Maxwell's book, The Theory
of Heat, in his discussion of the critical point of water, says that it
seems (since they hadn't observed it yet) to lie at a temperature so high
that the water starts to dissolve the glass vessel. Maybe he means by
dissolve what the CRC handbook means when it talks about being MnO2
being "soluble" in HCl, i.e. that there is a reaction.

Which is it exactly, a solution of glass in water or a reaction of glass
and water? In the former case, what is the actual solubility of glass
in water at high temperatures?
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <ara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  • Re: The Life Of A Pool Forum Troll
    ... from da deustchland, a water retriever, a real fookin dog. ... Why does the British navy have all glass bottom boats. ... And that black beer with he foam on top, I would rather drink motor ... I am drinking ale today. ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)
  • Re: solubility of glass
    ... that the water starts to dissolve the glass vessel. ... To add some perspective, synthetic quartz crystals, are being ...
    (sci.chem)
  • Re: solubility of glass
    ... that the water starts to dissolve the glass vessel. ... I'm glad to know that the chemistry of silica is very complicated. ...
    (sci.chem)
  • Re: What was Brian May thinking?
    ... pointing to it with a message, "This is art, you c*nts" is not art in ... In a room at Tate Modern there is a three-quarter full glass of water ... Q. Do you mean that the glass of water is a symbol of an oak tree? ...
    (rec.music.beatles)