Re: Why water & ethanol mixture shows positive deviation????!!!

In article
<8c40af9f-0a3c-4699-9b8a-6a429c5afb5f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
adichemadi <adichemadi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 6, 8:11 am, "N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" <dl...@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Dear adichemadi:

"adichemadi" <adichem...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

The dV of mixing of water and ethanol is negative.
(1+1 is not equal to 2) Hence I expected negative
deviation for this mixture from Raoult's law. But
this mixture shows positive deviation from Raoult's
law. It is rather unusual. Any explanation?

Anything to do with them forming an azeotrope?

I also observed on report that there is warming
effect while mixing these two. Then dH is also
negative but shows positive deviation.
Quite unusual.

Drink it slowly, and have plenty of beer nuts available.

David A. Smith

Hello Smith
Thank you for your kind reply. But I am serious. Any explanation?

Where is it written that all molecules must be of the same size? Why do
concrete formulators use gravel with various sizes sizes?

Bill