Re: Why water & ethanol mixture shows positive deviation????!!!

In article
<8c40af9f-0a3c-4699-9b8a-6a429c5afb5f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
adichemadi <adichemadi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 6, 8:11 am, "N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" <dl...@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Dear adichemadi:

"adichemadi" <adichem...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

The dV of mixing of water and ethanol is negative.
(1+1 is not equal to 2) Hence I expected negative
deviation for this mixture from Raoult's law. But
this mixture shows positive deviation from Raoult's
law. It is rather unusual. Any explanation?

Anything to do with them forming an azeotrope?

I also observed on report that there is warming
effect while mixing these two. Then dH is also
negative but shows positive deviation.
Quite unusual.

Drink it slowly, and have plenty of beer nuts available.

David A. Smith

Hello Smith
Thank you for your kind reply. But I am serious. Any explanation?

Where is it written that all molecules must be of the same size? Why do
concrete formulators use gravel with various sizes sizes?

Bill

  • Re: Date change for Daylight Savings Time
    ... for clarification, the date change in 2008 is completely normal and is ... not a deviation from the updated law that starts in 2007. ... In recent years, in most of the US, daylight saving time (DST) started ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • Why water & ethanol mixture shows positive deviation????!!!
    ... The dV of mixing of water and ethanol is negative. ... Raoult's law. ... But this mixture shows positive deviation from Raoult's ...
    (sci.chem)
  • Re: Date change for Daylight Savings Time
    ... for clarification, the date change in 2008 is completely normal and is ... not a deviation from the updated law that starts in 2007. ... In recent years, in most of the US, daylight saving time (DST) started ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • Re: earths orbit about sun
    ... i found the foloiwng link which presents a picture that shows a ... deviation like I am asking about but it does not provide any ... explanation and is left me with vagueness and questions. ...
    (sci.astro)
  • Re: taking result of a loop
    ... This is to know how is deviation between the upper left of a matrix with the rest of the elements of that. ... it sounds like variance but something called semivariance. ... Further explanation? ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)