Re: More on Ecological Economics.

From: Sigvaldi Eggertsson (sigvald_at_binet.is)
Date: 06/22/04

Date: 22 Jun 2004 02:27:23 -0700

"Ian St. John" <istjohn@noemail.ca> wrote in message news:<EjHBc.5695$Nz.555449@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Sigvaldi Eggertsson wrote:
>
> > "Ian St. John" <istjohn@noemail.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Bob Kolker wrote
> > >

> > Check: (http://www.or.is/Forsida/ENGLISHVERSION/view.aspx?.)
> > for further information on the use of Geothermal heat to heat houses
> > and generate electricity.
>
> Actually, I have an excellent presentation from "The Learning Channel" on
> the issue. Would you like a copy? Mostly it is the equivalent of "district
> heating' for both housing heat and domestic hot water. The concentration of
> citizenry in Reykjavik helps. However, all electricity, portable fuels, etc
> are separate from the house heating issue.

> Note the indents!
>

> > 90% of the electricity produced in Iceland comes from hydro-electric
> > sources.
>
> Actually: ( source
> http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ic.html )

Please, do not quote the CIA "fact" book here. It is very inaccurate
and not reliable.

> fossil fuel: 0.1%
> hydro: 82.5%
> other: 17.5% (geothermal) (2001)
>
> There is quite a bit of untapped hydro potential so it is the liikeliest
> source of any future increase.

There is a much larger untapped geo-thermal potential in Iceland and
if the "hydrogen economy" is ever going to amount to anything a large
part of the increase has to come from those sources.

> The point here is that Robert was stating that everything should be electric
> and then gave Iceland geothermal as an example, so I was being sarcastic.
> His 'blinders' are still on, though so if I give other sarcastic answers,
> please take them with a grain of salt. And I didn't even go into hydrogen
> power in Iceland.
> http://www.hydro.com/en/press_room/news/archive/2001_03/hydrogen_buses_en.html
>
> Have no fear. I am quite aware of Iceland and it's developments, though I
> hear less about the 'teething problems' that I assume they are having than
> the promotional stuff. I just didn't want to get detailed and thus spoil the
> point of the sarcasm.
>

> >> So you're saying that in iceland, geothermal heat is electrik? Or
> >> "could" be electrik? OR the icelanders are doing it all wrong?
> >> Perhaps you should clarify your clarification.
> >>
> >> Why do you dismiss solar, wind, cellulose ethanol, tidal, biodiesel,
> >> "anything into oil", etc?? Surely you see that there is no one single
> >> 'answer'?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: More on Ecological Economics.
    ... > for further information on the use of Geothermal heat to heat houses ... However, all electricity, portable fuels, etc ... and then gave Iceland geothermal as an example, ...
    (sci.econ)
  • Re: End of Days Has Begun
    ... "xyzzy" wrote in message ... a volcano eruption in Iceland. ... active place with lots of heat just below the surface. ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Icelandic Drilling Project Opens Door to Volcano-Powered Electricity. The project unexpectedly s
    ... The Icelandic Deep Drilling Project, IDDP, has been drilling shafts up to 5km deep in an attempt to harness the heat in the volcanic bedrock far below the surface of Iceland. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Continental vs British toilets
    ... worth using heat-pumps to heat houses in winter. ... You also need to consider the cost of a heat pump system with capacity sufficient to actually heat a whole house in near-freezing weather. ... who does know that it works out ok if the temperature difference over there is a lot higher than the temperature difference over here. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: End of Days Has Begun
    ... yeah if you know anything about Iceland, ... active place with lots of heat just below the surface. ... I've got that same problem when I use KY Warming Jell!!! ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)