God help America

From: jbg (spam2_at_jth.ch)
Date: 11/05/04

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:16:59 +0100

Awaiting 4 more years of:
     - lies [1]
     - a culture of fear and dependence [2]
     - division [3]
     - unilateralism [4]
     - destruction of the environment [5]
     - cronyism [6]
     - truncation of civil rights [7]
     - suffering [8]
     - arrogance [9]
     - crazy neocon ideology [10]
     - religious fundamentalism and bigotry [11]
     - happiness for George and his merry friends

Albeit:
     - a Quagmire in Iraq [12]
     - 100'000 dead Iraqi civilians [13]
     - Abu Ghraib [14]
     - the lack of any reason at all – oh, of course, I forgot the lies [1]
     - a record-breaking deficit [15]
     - ...and counting [16]
     - the massive extinction of species [17]
     - the rich getting richer [18]
     - ...and getting nice tax cuts [19]
     - no jobs in sight [20]
     - the wrong priorities [21]
     - the industrialized nations standard of living surpassing the
resources of the planet [22]
     - 1.1 billion people living on less than 1 dollar a day [23]
     - 2.7 billion people living on less than 2 dollars a day (that's
nearly half the population) [23]

But then again, what do you expect with mentalities like these:
     - blind obedience [24]
     - ”because I can afford to live at the expense of others” [25]
     - ”I need to protect myself from people like myself “[26]
     - ”hey, I'm just plain ignorant!” [27]
     - ”why should I care?” [27]
     - ”what's wrong with [1] to [29] anyway?” [27]

At least we get to laugh a little [28]

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
neither do we." [29]
George, for once you speak nothing but the truth...

God help America

[1]
Such as:
1.) Saddam has weapons of mass destruction:
"Understanding the Roots of Terrorism: Iraq as a Case Study"
     http://sass.caltech.edu/events/ritter.shtml --- November 13, 2002
"Report Discounts Iraqi Arms Threat"
     http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9790-2004Oct5.html
--- October 5, 2004

2.) Al Qaida-Saddam link:
"9/11 panel sees no link between Iraq, al-Qaida"
     http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5223932/ --- June 16, 2004
"Rumsfeld backtracks on al-Qaida, Iraq links"
     http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6180176/ --- October 5, 2004
"Cheney avows al-Qaida, Saddam link"

http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/ny-ustrue063996591oct06,0,399007.story?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines
--- November 4, 2004

3.) Liberating Iraq:
see [12], [13]

----------
[2]
"Cheney: Kerry win risks terror attack"
     http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/07/cheney.terror/
"President Announces New Measures to Counter the Threat of WMD"
     http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/02/20040211-4.html ---
February 11, 2004

http://www.foxnews.com/

----------
[3]
1.) Inside:
"We don't just disagree on what America should be doing; we disagree on
what America is. Is it a country that does not intrude into people's
sexual preferences and the marriage unions they want to make? Is it a
country that allows a woman to have control over her body? Is it a
country where the line between church and state bequeathed to us by our
Founding Fathers should be inviolate? Is it a country where religion
doesn't trump science? And, most important, is it a country whose
president mobilizes its deep moral energies to unite us - instead of
dividing us from one another and from the world?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/opinion/04friedman.html?ex=1100570156&ei=1&en=70275c9ed8cbfed6

2.) ...and outside:
"Brits to America: You're Idiots!"
     http://slate.msn.com/id/2109242/

----------
[4]
Annan: “Iraq war illegal”, "I hope we do not see another Iraq-type
operation for a long time - without UN approval and much broader support
from the international community."

----------
[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Concerned_Scientists
http://www.ucsusa.org/index.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Integrity_in_Policymaking

http://www.wilderness.org/Library/Documents/BushRecord.cfm

http://www.suv.org/environ.html

----------
[6]
"This is an impressive crowd - the haves and the have-mores. Some people
call you the elites; I call you my base." --- Bush at the The Al Smith
dinner, October 20, 2000
     http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/10/18/politics/main242210.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliburton
"Halliburton Surges After Bush Re-Election"

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=6706836

----------
[7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_X-Ray

----------
[8]
see [12], [13], [23]

----------
[9]
“You are either with us or against us”
     http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/gen.attack.on.terror/

“My answer is, bring 'em on."
     http://edition.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/02/sprj.nitop.bush/

----------
[10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_American_Century
http://www.newamericancentury.org/

http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm
“we need to increase defense spending significantly if we are to carry
out our global responsibilities today and modernize our armed forces for
the future;”
What, even more military spending: [21]?

“we need to strengthen our ties to democratic allies and to challenge
regimes hostile to our interests and values;”
Who defines what is in the interests of the USA? The oil lobby? The
military? Corporate America?

“we need to promote the cause of political and economic freedom abroad;”
Doing a bad job there, see [23] or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Contra,
http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB8/nsaebb8i.htm (Chile, 1973)

“we need to accept responsibility for America's unique role in
preserving and extending an international order friendly to our
security, our prosperity, and our principles.“
Again, what principles? Unilateralism? Preemptive strikes?

----------
[11]
"Openly Religious, to a Point"
     http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24634-2004Sep15.html
"Holding the Pentagon Accountable: For Religious Bigotry"
     http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/26/opinion/26thurs2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism

"Two Nations Under God"

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/opinion/04friedman.html?ex=1100570156&ei=1&en=70275c9ed8cbfed6

"Esther Kaplan's Take on the Born-Again White House"
     http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/04/10/int04057.html

----------
[12]
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_casualties.htm

----------
[13]
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041025//full/041025-20.html

----------
[14]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_prisoner_abuse

----------
[15]
http://www.kowaldesign.com/budget/

----------
[16]
http://costofwar.com/

----------
[17]
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/extinction.html
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/biodiversity/

----------
[18]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0103544

----------
[19]
http://www.cbpp.org/2-12-03bud.htm

----------
[20]
http://www.jobwatch.org/

----------
[21]
http://www.cdi.org/budget/2004/world-military-spending.cfm

----------
[22]
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/environment/quiz2.jsp
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/environment/quiz1a.jsp

----------
[23]
http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp
http://www.developmentgoals.org/Poverty.htm

----------
[24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

----------
[25]
http://www.suv.com

----------
[26]
http://www.usagunsales.com/
http://www.nra.org/

----------
[27]
Take your time and look around - they're in the majority:
     http://groups.google.com/

----------
[28]
http://www.dubyaspeak.com/
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm
http://slate.msn.com/id/76886/

http://whitehousewest.com/

"George Bush 'chokes on pretzel'"
     http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/world/newsid_1759000/1759093.stm

"the donald rumsfeld library of quotations"
     http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/bh/rumsfeld.shtml
my favorite:
     http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/bh/rams/bh_rumsfeld_20030406.ram

[29]
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/05/bush.ap/

CC: talk.politics.misc, talk.politics.misc, talk.politics,
alt.politics.economics, soc.culture.usa, alt.impeach.bush, alt.activism,
alt.war, misc.activism.progressive, alt.politics.bush,
alt.politics.republicans, alt.politics.gw-bush,
alt.politics.usa.republican, sci.physics, sci.econ, sci.environment,
talk.religion.misc, alt.talk.creationism