Re: Economic Rent in Terms of Risk Free Interest Rate

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:10:10 GMT, Les Cargill <lNOcargill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>>It would remove it as stored capital, and "redistribute" it
>>>( relative to the status quo ) as income. I rather doubt
>>>the economy would have the ability to cause that kind
>>>of accumulation of capital again.
>>
>> Land is not capital and capital is not land. Nothing is being
>> "removed". The land will still exist. It's not as if a factory were
>> destroyed and the capital stock reduced a commensurate amount.
>
>Whether the practice is valid by your dictionary
>or not, it is clearly a fact that it is universal
>practice to commingle rents and capital.

It is not universal. It is a carefully cultivated error that honest
people reject, and dishonest ones rationalize.

>The unproductive accumulation of rents can indeed
>result in actual capital that creates actual wealth.
>In fact, we see that it does.

Nope. Never happened, and never will. That is merely the Fallacy of
the Seen vs the Unseen. You see the wealth in the landowner's hands
but you don't see the even greater wealth that others would have had
if he didn't have it.

>What is so hard about the hypothesis that rents
>bias some psychological "error" in human
>makeup, and that the result *might* be
>more than the resul without it?

You mean, other than the fact that it is a rationalization for evil
that lacks the slightest scintilla of logical or factual support, and
is flatly disproved by all historical examples?

>>>Deflation is psychological - you'll never engineer
>>>it to be un-sudden enough not to cause a panic.
>>
>> Tax policy changes that reduce the value of certain assets are
>> implemented all of the time; the economy does not collapse into
>> deflationary depressions because of it.
>
>Those would not be as as broad in effect as LVT. Those
>do not redirect what, 18%? of GDP.

Uh, yes, Les, they do. Duh.

>>>I know. But we can't really say why, can we? It's
>>>habit, not founded in anything empirical.
>>
>> It's founded in the notion that man is entitled to the fruits of his
>> labor. Sure, that's just an assertion, but without it, we devolve into
>> a Kolker-esque world where might makes right.
>
>Yet we don't.

?? Have you looked around, recently?

>Any man can take extreme measures to keep every whit of
>his labor, today.

Garbage.

>It is just less attractive than
>the alternative.

Being killed is also less attractive than giving the thug your wallet.
So?

>>>Labor is becoming "shrinkingly" marginally
>>>important as a factor in production.
>>
>> That position is contradicted by the objective _fact_ that there is no
>> historical downward trend in employment rates.
>
>Employment isn't labor.

?? ROTFL!!

>There is significant political
>interest in maintaining rates of employment, ala
>Bismarck.

?? A claim that employment is being maintained for political reasons
rather than by employers' self-interest is just idiotic.

> > Capital makes labor
>> more productive, it doesn't eliminate the need for it.
>
>Please note I said *marginal* factor - this
>according to Drucker as a direct component
>of COGS.

Then it's ignoratio elenchi.

>The world is more complicated than
>Spencer's Chapter IX.

<yawn> No matter how complicated the world is, it is not going to
make 2+2=5.

-- Roy L

  • Bush Administration Dithers While Rome Burns
    ... The Labor Department will report employment data for March on Friday. ... damaging the real economy in lasting ways that will take many months, ... In tomorrow's jobs report the key variables to watch are: ...
    (soc.culture.cuba)
  • Re: OT| 2014 checklist
    ... The government is coming to get your guns. ... though the "segregation" has as much to do with the expansion of the economy into much narrower specialities. ... It also means that the actual marginal product of labor had declined. ... we know we have an employment problem*, ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Unemployment Rate Falls to 4.9%
    ... >tell you what percentage of the population don't want full time employment, ... >increasingly productive economy. ... >productivity increases, less workers are necessary, and so yea, as ... >businesses become less and less labor intensive, ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Unemployment Rate Falls to 4.9%
    ... tell you what percentage of the population don't want full time employment, ... increasingly productive economy. ... productivity increases, less workers are necessary, and so yea, as ... businesses become less and less labor intensive, ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: UNEMPLOYMENT rate in US tops Great Depression in new report ...
    ... There is not much integrity in our labor statistics, ... Survey" DOL employment data, i.e., from real paycheck stubs has always ... > because they believed no jobs were available for them. ...
    (sci.econ)