If all 3 are single-point-grounded, why does A/C need a surge suppressor but phone & cable do not?

From: Flea Ridden (flea_at_flea.ridden)
Date: 07/09/04

Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:20:59 GMT

Why don't all manufacturers sell models like the Intermatic PanelGuard IG1300-2T-1C which protects phone
and cable inputs too?

If protection like this is not needed for phone and cable lines, why is it needed for A/C lines?

w_tom wrote:

> [...]
> Same authors make same point in an applicaton note for builders and
> other structural contractors - again must read:
> http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/housing/surge/contractors.htm
>
> In the Cozy Cabin example, simple principles of single point earth
> ground are violated. Damage was made possible by human failure. The
> Rambling Residence suffers from a similar failure. For example,
> outside speakers are incoming wires that did not first connect to
> single point ground before leaving the building. Where did that
> transient enter or leave? The authors suspect induced electromagnetic
> transient. However those wires easily could have been connected to a
> direct surge by being buried, routed over conductive materials such as
> concrete, or even in contact with another conductor - the tree. But
> again, wires entered the building without first making contact to the
> single point earth ground system. A blantant violation.
>
> Other suspects could have contributed to the problem. Electrical
> controls for the sprinkler system also complicate the installation of
> a single point ground. Where or how did another structure - the
> exterior pool - connect to building? Were building and pools
> interconnected at a single point or did they too create ground loops?
> Both pool and building should have been connected as if each were a
> separate structure. If not, then the building could have ground loop
> problems - no single point earth ground existed.
>
> Earthing is the primary solution to surge protection which is also
> why new homes should have Ufer or halo grounds. Grounding installed
> bfore the foundation is even constructed. Purpose is to make earth
> beneath equipotential - make the single point ground more effective.
> Plug-in or 'point of use' protectors do not adaquately compensate for
> a defective earthing system. Furthermore those plug-in protectors are
> typically undersized and grossly overpriced - on the order of tens of
> times more expensive per protected appliance.
>
> That is the point of that nist.gov paper and so many other
> industry professionals. Protectors are not the protection. Earthing
> - the thing often forgotten because it is out of sight - is the most
> important aspect of surge protection.
>
> And we are only discussing secondary protection. What is the
> primary protection? Examples of failures in a building's primary
> protection system:
> http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html
> Again, the less expensive and essential solution is earthing even in
> the primary protector system.
>
> "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2l2bmtF7im90U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > The problem is not with the power supply, it is with the communications
> > ports. Nine out of ten failed appliances that we examine have failures
> > associated with the communications ports. If you don't provide the proper
> > TVSS that ties the power and communications references together, then you

Relevant Pages

  • Re: black ice usage question
    ... The point is with a router already there, all ports are already being ... > With BI set in the Paranoid mode with the 1-65535 rules set, ... > protection for unsolicited inbound traffic to the machine. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: P4C800ED with 4 gig RAM
    ... claiming Intel was still making 865s, ... have blown motherboards while using the rear USB ports, ... CMOS parts with no protection diodes. ... but in terms of sensitivity, there is no lower limit if a CMOS ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: USB hubs
    ... I even found one external hub that committed the old sin of feeding ... likely a lot lower value of protection. ... and that's a horrible choice of materials for preventing ESD ... that one or two ports are blown on it. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Whole house surge suppressors
    ... Communication ports are easily damaged if ports are used beyond their ... Does a surge enter on communication port, damage that port, then stop? ... That is effective protection that can be ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)