Re: Bit representation on a CD

From: Rich Grise (rich_at_example.net)
Date: 11/23/04

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:49:49 GMT

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:53:01 +0100, c.j[dot]w wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This question has some connections with the other one that I recently
> posted.
>
> When data is stored on a CD, a straight-forward approach would be to
> store a 0 as a land and a 1 as a pit, or vice-versa. But the
> representation used is that a 1 is representated by a change from pit to
> land or from land to pit, and a 0 is represented by a pit or a land.
>
> My questions is: Why is it better to use the transition/not-transition
> approach? I have read an explanation, but don't understand it. It is
> quoted below this post. The whole text can be found at
> http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/hotlist/cdrom/Documents/tech-summary.html.

It's called NRZ (Non-Return to Zero) recording; maybe drawing a little
timing diagram would help you see the point - it ensures that there are
enough edges to recover the clock, and stuff like that. I put "nrz data"
in google and got this results page:
http://www.google.com/search?q=nrz+data&btnG=Google+Search

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Relevant Pages

  • Bit representation on a CD
    ... store a 0 as a land and a 1 as a pit, ... land or from land to pit, and a 0 is represented by a pit or a land. ... To meet goals to, it is not possible to encode arbitrary binary ...
    (sci.optics)
  • Bit representation on a CD
    ... store a 0 as a land and a 1 as a pit, ... land or from land to pit, and a 0 is represented by a pit or a land. ... To meet goals to, it is not possible to encode arbitrary binary ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Ministers Criticise Betty over Arms and Titles!!
    ... and the representation of the Estates of the ... held a great deal of land, many more who held only a little land, and ... The Lords were not supposed to act as a check on the ... No longer is the Parliament supposed to ...
    (alt.talk.royalty)
  • Re: On Talking to the USFS
    ... Please come out and join us on the land in Wyoming and help create ... You have the power to resist. ... their group and acquescing to their representation of me. ... course of action I can take that avoids accepting Plunker/Garrick et ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Subgames in NetHack
    ... You can do a lot of things with traps which aren't obvious. ... Which gave me the idea of having to use the land mines from the Fort ... Upon moving away a pit viper moved onto the land mine: ... Let's wish for a boulder. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.nethack)