Re: Phono Preamp as Line-Out Amp for Speaker

On 2006-11-18, Serious Machining <whatelse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Will a phono preamp work for boosting the line-out signal from a
computer sound card to that of 'speaker level' for running a set of
small non-amplified stereo speakers ?

No. preamps will only boost to line level, and mangle the
signal somewhat for RIAA equalisation.

The speakers do sound reasonably well at the line-out level,
their volume is just somewhat low, even at the maximum 'on-screen'
setting.

you'll need an amplifier, unless you have one sitting in the shed,
amplified speakers are probably your cheapest option.

--

Bye.
Jasen

  • Re: Phono Preamp as Line-Out Amp for Speaker
    ... I'll rethink my plan as per your reply. ... computer sound card to that of 'speaker level' for running a set of ... amplified speakers are probably your cheapest option. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Tron Speaker Upgrade?
    ... If you have multiple pins, an external sub works as a cheap ... inputs (rca) and left and right speaker level inputs. ... As for backbox speakers, I like the kits because you get the custom ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Phono Preamp as Line-Out Amp for Speaker
    ... computer sound card to that of 'speaker level' for running a set of ... small non-amplified stereo speakers? ... The speakers do sound reasonably ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Switching audio via an Ocelot and SECUs
    ... >> Since you are using amplified speakers, ... > subjected to hum if run through unshielded wire. ... does) handle line-level audio adequately. ... >> I use PC-style amplified speakers for my whole house audio and have no ...
    (comp.home.automation)
  • Re: sound quality/audio question for digital transcription
    ... Most new computers have better integrated audio. ... speakers, you can still hear a lot better. ... Amplified speakers are a good ... The better option is to use headphones that are sensitive enough to ...
    (sci.med.transcription)