Re: LED Lumens to Lux conversion?

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:50:37 -0800, TazaTek wrote:

I'm trying to pick out some LED's for to make a 10,000 Lux @ 36 inches
(or 1 meter) LED lamp. My problem is that I'm not quite sure of how
to convert the lumens spec on the LED to the Lux to figure out how
many LED's I need to buy.

I know that Lux = Lumens/ m2 , but I'm not exactly sure of how that
applies to something that is 1 meter away, and would be, say the size
of a small book.

The lux depends upon the size of the spot, and thus the illumination
angle. A wide-angle LED will produce a lower lux figure for the same
lumens.

To determine a rough lux value, divide the lumens figure by the area of
the LED's "spot". E.g. for even illumination over a 90-degree (+/-
45-degree) cone at 1 metre, the spot radius will be 1m*45*pi/180 ~=
785mm, and the area will be ~1.94 square metres, so lux ~= lumens/1.94.

If the "size of a small book" refers to focusing the entire output of
the LED on a small area, then the only factor is the area on which you're
focusing it, not the distance (obviously, you'll need to narrow the angle
as the distance increases to keep the smaller area).

E.g. if you're focusing on a 10cm square, lux = lumens / 0.01, so you
would need 100 lumens to get 10000 lux.

  • Re: Dinotte 600L vs. dual 200L
    ... The 'L' is a rough indication of output (lumens). ... You need to be careful with lux vs. lumens. ... square metre with an illuminance of 1000 lux. ... but illuminate a larger area than the 200L. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: LED Lumens to Lux conversion?
    ... to convert the lumens spec on the LED to the Lux to figure out how ... applies to something that is 1 meter away, and would be, say the size ... The lux depends upon the size of the spot, ... focusing it, not the distance (obviously, you'll need to narrow the angle ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Can I use my camera to measure lumens?
    ... I know that lumens are the total light coming from a bulb, and LUX is the ... full sun at summer noon on a gray card should read f/16 at ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: mercury vapor unusual use
    ... Adam Aglionby wrote: ... Focussing will up the lux but not the lumens. ... Encouraging enough anyway, found my wallet was pounds lighter after ...
    (sci.engr.lighting)
  • Re: Work light for drill press, lathe
    ... What is it in Lumens? ... how brightly an object is illuminated in lux per square meter. ... The width of the beam angle has as much to do with brightness as the ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)