Re: Can I measure AC vampire current this way?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:43:17 -0600, George <gh424NO824SPAM@xxxxxxx> wrote:

:I'd like to measure how much current various plugged-in devices draw
:when they are "off". I have a digital multimeter that will measure
:AC voltage. So I thought maybe I could place a small-value resistor
:in series in one of the AC lines, and measure the voltage drop
:across it. And then just calculate the current. But I don't know
:if the results would be at all accurate.
:
:Has anyone tried that? Is there a better way?
:

There certainly is a better way, although it will cost you. The Cent-A-Meter was
designed and developed in Australia to do exactly what you require. It is
suitable for all AC supply voltages and both 50/60Hz frequency. Cost
calculations can be set to $, UKP and Euro's.
http://www.cispl.com.au/centameter/centameter.cfm

  • Re: PIC onboard ADC Questions
    ... you'd be drawing 288uA from the battery. ... > available and rated for the maximum voltage. ... within my requirements for current, cost, and simplicity. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Using a uC for DC-DC conversion?
    ... >>as a spare at reasonable cost. ... > with less voltage drop than the mosfet body diodes for long enough to blow the ... > It would be somehwhat more difficult to protect the transmitter output against ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Singtels MIO sucks!
    ... it is a 2 years contract so cancellation will cost penalty. ... Cost-wise it is cheaper for me (not taking into account the 24hours power ... that supply three different voltage at three different states. ... So much for the technical support. ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Re: LED wiring Series or Parallel 110 or 12v (for Power Efficiency)
    ... cost, choose the LM317 approach. ... sacrifice efficiency and brightness and use higher value ... like a saturated NPN series pass transistor and the voltage across the ... volts, when the LM317 will start limiting the current into the load to ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: MTH Proto-Sound 1 & Lionel ZW
    ... The older Lionel transformers use a slider to cut more or less windings into the circuit, and so produce a variable voltage. ... Cost and safety. ...
    (rec.models.railroad)