Re: Transformer winding insulation

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:27:33 -0500, "sbrehler"
<sbrehler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Am I correct in that the winding wire in a transformer is coated with a
varnish that acts as an insulator? I've tried to find an answer to this by
researching transformer construction, but haven't been able to get anything
definitive. If this is so, then I would think that winding ones own x-former
would be a tedious undertaking when the slightest knick would possibly
render the thing useless. Perhaps that's why not many people wind their own?
Or, do they? I'm asking because I am considering constructing some VERY
simple x-formers to conduct some VERY simple experiments. No Large Hadron
Collider stuff! :>) Thanks for any info you can provide...

Scott

Classic insulations were Formvar and Heavy Formvar, which are very
tough varnishes... so tough they are hard to strip. You can also use
nylon or polyurethane insulated magnet wire, which self-strip with a
very hot soldering iron but are not as tough. All will wind nicely
without much danger of shorting. The Formvar is better for
high-temperature use, and HF for high temp and/or high voltage.

I've hand-wound a lot of small transformers, mostly toroids and pot
cores, with all sorts of wire as noted, and don't recall any winding
shorts. Go for it.

John

  • Re: Variac Transformer to HV transformer
    ... The transformer this is replacing was a 540vac ... Good insulation between current 115/230 winding and secondary winding is ... was considering using the wire from some cat6 cable. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew)
  • Re: Variac Transformer to HV transformer
    ... The transformer this is replacing was a 540vac ... Good insulation between current 115/230 winding and secondary winding is ... I am trying to decide on a wire to wind the secondary with. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew)
  • Re: Transformer winding insulation
    ... researching transformer construction, but haven't been able to get anything ... then I would think that winding ones own x-former ... Enamel magnet wire is very resistant to nicks as a rule. ... layers lay down enough to squeeze it in) ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: transformer resistances
    ... I think the red wires are the high voltage in and the yellow ... I thought the high voltage winding would be thicker wire and less ... but since what a transformer does is transfer _power_ from one ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Transformer winding insulation
    ... varnish that acts as an insulator? ... researching transformer construction, but haven't been able to get anything ... then I would think that winding ones own x-former ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)