Re: Scrolling encoder and push switch (like Creative Jukebox [tm])

From: Dave Platt (dplatt_at_radagast.org)
Date: 06/29/04

Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:41:46 -0000

>I'm looking for a source for the above type of encoder.
>
>Basically it's a serrated wheel (like the volume knob on a miniature
>radio) but with detent stops.
>
>In normal use, the wheel will generate a quaderature(?) output but
>with additional pressure, the switch function is made.
>
>Any pointers gratefully received.

Grayhill series 62A optical rotary encoder, 32 positions per
revolution, with mechanical detents, with pushbutton-switch function.
Grayhill #62A11-02-020S (2" cable) or -050S (5" cable). Available
from Digi-Key.

I don't think you'll like the price.

Mechanical encoders (with contacts rather than optoelectronics) are a
good deal less expensive, but I don't know of any which have the
pushbutton function. Cherry might make one, perhaps.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org>                                   AE6EO

  • Re: Switch encoder problems
    ... Where you will have problems is if the encoder sits there ... vacillating between two values -- should that happen, ... The ones we use have one output guaranteed at the detent (A guaranteed ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Switch encoder problems
    ... Where you will have problems is if the encoder sits there vacillating between two values -- should that happen, and should you be using the simple and obvious rule for loading your synthesizer, your tuning will be jumping up and down continuously. ... OTOH, you can probably learn pretty quickly to make sure the thing drops into a detent before you let go -- after a while it'll become automatic, and you'll be surprised when your significant other can't operate your radio. ... Wescott Design Services ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Switch encoder problems
    ... Where you will have problems is if the encoder sits there vacillating between two values -- should that happen, and should you be using the simple and obvious rule for loading your synthesizer, your tuning will be jumping up and down continuously. ... OTOH, you can probably learn pretty quickly to make sure the thing drops into a detent before you let go -- after a while it'll become automatic, and you'll be surprised when your significant other can't operate your radio. ... This particular encoder at rest on the detent has both switches open. ... Wescott Design Services ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Switch encoder problems
    ... Where you will have problems is if the encoder sits there ... The ones we use have one output guaranteed at the detent (A guaranteed ... This particular encoder at rest on the detent has both switches open. ... detent position then rocks back to rest. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Scrolling encoder and push switch (like Creative Jukebox [tm])
    ... >> I'm looking for a source for the above type of encoder. ... >> Basically it's a serrated wheel (like the volume knob on a miniature ...
    (sci.electronics.components)