Re: In search of a better line driver

From: John Larkin (jjlarkin_at_highSNIPlandTHIStechPLEASEnology.com)
Date: 06/04/04

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:26:22 -0700

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:40:30 -0700, Chris Carlen
<crobc@BOGUS_FIELD.earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>Here are some of the ways I have driven 50 ohm coax cables with TTL
>level logic signals:
>
>1. I have used 74HC14, 74AC14, and 74ACTQ14 devices to drive 50ohm
>cables, with reasonably good results. I have tended to use one gate in
>the package to drive several others in parallel, with a back terminating
>resistor tuned to match the line Z, minus the output Z of the parallel
>gates. This tends to produce some bumps after the edges that I'd like
>to look better, mainly when driving an open line. Also, unless many
>gates are used, lot variations in the output impedances of the gates can
>cause substantial variations in edge quality from lot to lot.
>
>I haven't tried using only a 74HC14 package with some parallel gates,
>without one gate as pre-driver. Maybe this would be better. Ultimately
>I want to not use such a large 14-pin package.
>
>Also, I don't think it would be wise to use one 14-pin package to drive
>multiple channels, since the ground and VCC bounces from one channel
>feed a little bit into the others, except for very non-critical
>applications.
>
>2. I have used TC4426A MOSFET drivers as line drivers. They are very
>good at this, but too slow for some purposes. I'd like to keep things
>at least as fast or faster than HC CMOS.
>
>3. Lately I have tried the Fairchild TinyLogic NC7WZ14 UHS dual Schmitt
>inverters. I tied the two gates from one package in parallel, and again
>used the back terminating R. I made a really nice layout on a 4-layer
>board with a pair of 0.1uF 0805 bypass caps on either side of the package.
>
>Boy this chip works great! It makes simply marvelous edges into even
>the unterminated line.
>
>But there is one problem. The thing is so small I can hardly solder it.
> It sits on pads just a few tenths of millimeters per side. For the
>first and only board on which I have used them, I had another tech.
>assemble it who did a lowsy job, giving it back to me after apparently
>no inspection. Today I bitched and moaned for an hour while I fixed the
>poor solder joints. But they are almost impossible to solder well by
>hand. Well, things might be better if I had the proper illuminated
>magnifier, but I don't. Also, I was using 0.015" wire solder, which is
>still too much to meter out consistently at this size.
>
>Actually, I have a little general purpose line driver board I made using
>the TC4426/7 chips, and had 100 of them assembled by an outside
>contractor. It's only 0.65" x 0.75" and plugs into any board needing
>line drivers, sparing me from re-evaluating the driver design for every
>new situation. It simply includes everything: ESD and OVP protection,
>LED driver, and the line driver. Expensive, but that's Ok for my lab
>environment if it saves me time. These are cool, and I intend to do the
>same perhaps with the Fairchild chips.
>
>But if I could find a SO-8 packaged chip with similar specs to the
> [...]

My favorite is the Onsemi NL37WZ16US, a triple buffer, using all three
sections in parallel. If you run it from 6 volts and use, say, 10 ohms
in series, it puts almost 5 volts into 50 ohms in about 500 ps. Or
source terminated, powered from 5, it will deliver about 4.5 at the
open end.

But it's a US8 package. To hand solder, wet the pins with liquid flux,
blob a tiny bit of solder on your iron, and touch each pin; solder
will wick from the tip to the pin and pad.

John

Relevant Pages

  • In search of a better line driver
    ... gates are used, lot variations in the output impedances of the gates can ... I haven't tried using only a 74HC14 package with some parallel gates, ... I have a little general purpose line driver board I made using ... same perhaps with the Fairchild chips. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: which one among the available FPGAs is best for a fresher?
    ... modern packages are an easy solder onto a circuit unless you have profession ... QFP varient package is a nightmare for a hobbiest without a stereo ... BGA pads on the PCB by coating the PCB with ample water soluable flux ... pcb and BGA balls, and carefully mate the balls to the pads by eye. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Another Linux Myth Exposed - Hopeless at playing music ..
    ... But I can't get sound working on either machine. ... and says it is configured with driver snd-emu10k1. ... I look at the descriptions in the package manager at ... the moment and it takes care of the dependencies. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: HP nx6110 (PT604ET) Laptop - Spares/Repair
    ... With BGA packages the ... When heated the balls deform and make wet ... fix problems under the chip package. ... integrity of the BGA solder balls meaning the chip can't be reworked, ...
    (uk.adverts.computer)
  • Re: Image pushing failing after minint folder has been installed.
    ... Initially I did have that problem but once I pointed the package to the ... like windows PE doesn't have the correct driver. ... nic driver to the following folders in the Customwinpe folder in my sms ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.tools)