Re: Problem changing from power supply to battery

OK - I'm getting close to my wit's end here.
I put 2 x 1N4004's in series with the +6.4V - they dropped the voltage to
4.7VDC - but the circuit still didn't work. I tried just a single 1N4004 -
voltage was 5.4VDC and circuit still didn't work.

It's not a problem with isolating the ground pin as Andy suggested - the
power supply I used for the testing was seperate to the PC which is
connected to the circuit via LPT port.
The two power sources are totally unrelated, I can still get the circuit to
work by connecting to the +5VDC of the benchtop power supply (which is a PC
power supply scavenged from a PC case)

Any help much appreciated.

Kyle.

"Kyle Winters" <kyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Ed,
> Thanks for the advice. I measured the voltage drop when directly powering
> the relay - it was 0.01V difference, so I'm guessing that's OK. I will
> pick up some 1N4004's tomorrow and let you know how I go.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Kyle.
>
> "ehsjr" <ehsjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Kyle Winters wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>> I am having a problem moving my circuit from a power supply to a
>>> battery. The circuit (I can provide more details if necessary) is
>>> basically some 74LSxx IC's which are turned on/off via signal from a PC.
>>> The outputs control the state of relays which allow motors to be driven
>>> via 12V.
>>> To date, I have been doing all my testing using a PC power supply -
>>> 12VDC for the motors and 6VDC for the circuit - and this worked
>>> perfectly. I (wrongly) assumed it would be a simple matter to change

.