WTF patents

I'm frustrated by patents that seem oblivious to prior art. Consider US
patent application 20050218880 (http://tinyurl.com/al578), "Apparatus for
powering an electronic musical instrument".

I cannot figure out what this guy thinks he is patenting, that is not
already prior art (consider in particular the "phantom power" scheme for
microphones, and the fact that Alembic basses in the 1970s used external
power sources). The only part of this that *might* be novel is the idea of
having an on-board rechargeable energy source, and recharging it by plugging
a power adapter into the signal jack.

But IANAL.

Anyone else got an opinion as to whether this patent (application) is
actually defensible?

And, is there any way for a member of the general public (me) to weigh in
with prior art on a patent application, before it's granted?

FWIW, the application was filed March 31 2005, and the device was publicly
demonstrated by the "inventor" at the NAMM show in January 2005. I thought
public disclosure before a patent application invalidated it?? Maybe I'm
confused about that.

  • Re: What is the fastest sustainable web service response time?
    ... The biggest problem, at least IMO, is that for quite a while the PTO routinely rejected _all_ patent applications that involved software at all. ... many in the legal circle 1996 as the now "Timeline" "Clock" where prior art meant less or rather may be deferred in footnotes. ... Being in the telecommunications business, specifically the Online Hosting, BBS market since the 80s, I have seen over the years on going claims on basic features that was obvious and common on market. ... The single biggest problem I see is that right now, the level of proof required to attain a patent is only "preponderance of the evidence", but invalidating that patent later requires "clear and convincing" evidence. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: WTF patents
    ... I cannot figure out what this guy thinks he is patenting, that is not already prior art (consider in particular the "phantom power" scheme for microphones, and the fact that Alembic basses in the 1970s used external power sources). ... The only part of this that *might* be novel is the idea of having an on-board rechargeable energy source, and recharging it by plugging a power adapter into the signal jack. ... And, is there any way for a member of the general public to weigh in with prior art on a patent application, before it's granted? ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: LCD 26" Confirmed for Wizard of Oz
    ... It cites the Mr. Game CRTs as prior art. ... a cabinet; ... That's just a European patent application. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Microsoft Patents IsNot
    ... Although a US patent application like this establishes a priority date, ... prior art needed to be described in a single document (or single public ... Australia, it may be necessary for someone to lodge an objection ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Eolas applet patent
    ... the Eolas Web Plug-In Patent solely on prior art promoted by Microsoft. ... The USPTO has reaffirmed the validity of the $521M patent, rejecting the ...
    (comp.lang.java.advocacy)