Re: Soft "varnish" on PC boards?

Ignoramus14946 wrote:
> I have a couple of PC boards from where I want to nicely remove
> components. They are covered in soft "varnish", it has a rubbery
> texture. How could Iremove this varnish?
>
> thanks

That sounds more like one of the varieties of conformal coating. There
are various removal solvents, but which one you can use depends on the
coating.

A pretty universal remover was Freon, and damned fine it as at the task
too, but that's not really available for outdoor use any more ;)
[no eco-shouting please, I am merely making an observation]

You might look in your favourite catalogue and see what is availble
under 'solvents'

Cheers

PeteS

  • Re: What is this stuff on this pc board?
    ... Probably used for moisture protection among other ... Like a varnish. ... It is NOT conformal coating. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: What is this stuff on this pc board?
    ... Probably used for moisture protection among other ... Like a varnish. ... Also some coatings were epoxy types. ... It is NOT conformal coating. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: What is this stuff on this pc board?
    ... Conformal coating. ... Like a varnish. ... Also some coatings were epoxy types. ... Bob AZ ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: varnish/oil homebrew mix turned to gel
    ... I have chased this problem for decades trying to save varnish from one year ... freon, propane, marbles. ... two small holes in the lid of the can, ... end of the screw with varnish and makes a good seal. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Outdoor finish
    ... With all the current threads on outdoor finishes, ... Fiber glass. ... I have seen it used to good effect on wooden canoe hulls. ... for a more durable finish then varnish or poly? ...
    (rec.woodworking)