Re: Home made solar cells - is this real?

Don Lancaster wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

Don Lancaster wrote:

siliconmike wrote:

Yes its for commercial use. Anyhow theres no point in using it because
it is patented.

I'm trying to procure solar cells from a manufacturer. Most say there
is huge demand and low supply and most are booked for a long time.

What possible use could you have for a solar cell?

NOT ONE NET WATTHOUR OF CONVENTIONAL SILICON PV ELECTRICITY HAS ---> EVER <--- BEEN PRODUCED.

No means is currently known of producing renewable and sustainable solar pv NET energy. The amortization cost of the synbchronous inverter alone is enough to GUARANTEE a net energy sink.

Although the latest in CIGS developments may eventually get us as far as ONE THIRD of the way towards that goal.

See http://www.tinaja.com/glib/energfun.pdf for a detailed tutorial.

And ongoing developments in http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu06.asp

Gee. Do you feel strongly about this?

I assume that by 'net watt-hour' you mean after the energy necessary to produce the cells and associated electronics. I suspect that in many cases you are correct. I also suspect, however, that PV cells in remote locations do, in fact, "generate" a net positive amount of energy, if you were to factor in the energy necessary to produce, install and maintain mains wiring to the top of the mountain or whatever.

But I have no idea of how remote makes it "remote enough".

A country mile is not nearly enough.

See http://www.tinaja.com/glib/energfun.pdf for a tutorial.

Actually I did read it. And for the most part I agreed with it.

But by your $ = gallons of gas equation a country mile -- or even a long driveway -- _is_ more than enough for a small enough application. If I need one watt to power a gizmo that's a mile from the nearest power pole I'm going to pay $3000 to $10000 for the privilege of having a place to plug it into the grid. On a perpetual loan that's about $120 to $400 a year, and I still would need to pay around $240 per year to keep it lit up.

A 1-watt capable solar cell, battery and inverter are going to come in less than that, even here in Oregon in the winter, and even accounting for replacing things as they wear out. So with _your_ net $ = net watt-hours equation, that solar cell _does_ provide a net gain.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

  • Re: whats wrong with this circuit?
    ... *can't* beat conservation of energy. ... disacharge- solar cell is in series with battery during flyback. ... Based on the choice of L and C, you could pump charge into the battery ... cell potential and state of voltage on storage C)) for a total charge ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Solar Cell attains 40.7% efficiency
    ... New World Record Achieved In Solar Cell Technology ... U.S. Department of Energy Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable ...
    (sci.energy.hydrogen)
  • Re: whats wrong with this circuit?
    ... *can't* beat conservation of energy. ... disacharge- solar cell is in series with battery during flyback. ... Based on the choice of L and C, you could pump charge into the battery ... cell potential and state of voltage on storage C)) for a total charge ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Solar Cell Efficiency
    ... >>Is there any real feisible way to increase the efficiency of a solar ... Because of the nature of solar energy, with the photons adding ... > light into the solar cell while making a low resistance connection. ...
    (sci.energy)
  • Re: Solar Cell Efficiency
    ... Because of the nature of solar energy, with the photons adding ... junction solar cells are designed such at higher energy photons ... light into the solar cell while making a low resistance connection. ...
    (sci.energy)