A simple audio-filter

I need to find a way to build a simple audio filter.
It's for an electronic talking toy which uses a piezo-speaker. I've
removed the speaker and tried to make a line-out instead, but the sound
is pretty "gritty" and "dirty". I believe I can make it better with
some adjustments (filtering)
This is what I've done so far:

220K 10nF
----------------->---------------o---xxxx----o o--||----->
| |
50K x |
audio Audio x<----| line
out Taper x out

----------------->-------------------------------o----------------->

I've experimented with different capacitors. If I lower the value (say
6 nF) the bass goes away (which includes some low frequency "rumble")
and I get more treble. If I insert a capacitor with a higher value (say
40 nF) the opposite happens.
I would like to remove the annoying "rumble" and "dirty" part of the
sound, but without removing all of the bass in the process. How do I do
this in the simplest possible way?

  • Re: Aged to Perfection
    ... loved the Fender's pickups and pre-amp. ... It's got a great sound. ... Also the capacitors in the pre-amps of that bass may have altered over ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Guitar tone pot, do we need it?
    ... I've been through all this fine detail of the sound stuff so I know ... Arthur Quinn ... and more Bass. ... What I was talking about was changing the type of capacitors while ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)