Preventing Voltage Dips

Hi

I am trying to power an GSM module from a 3.6V lithium battery via a couple
of FETS and I am finding that the modem won't connect when the battery
voltage drops to about 3.6V. I have measured the voltage at the modem with
my scope and I have noticed that the voltage dips about 800mV during its
transmissions bursts. At first I thought it was a problem with my FET's but
when I measured right back at the battery it was still dropping around
500mV. I have about 1200uF on the modem and I have noticed that the more
capacitance I use, the better it is but I would prefer not too use big
capacitors on this design. Does anyone know of any better ways to get
around this? The Current spikes are around 2A for about 500uS every 5mS.

Best regards,

Adrian Hamilton

  • Re: Big capacitors
    ... Tried a cheap UPS but it didn't stop the brownouts reaching ... the modem and latching the firmware/hardware. ... Depending on the modem's voltage and current requirements, ... find it easier and cheaper to use a lead-acid "gel cell" battery. ...
    (sci.electronics.components)
  • Re: Recommendation of GSM/GPRS modem
    ... First, let me say that I'm avid reader of your blog, and I've taken the ... This is why I'm interested in a modem. ... have just purchased a 2200MaH additional battery. ... Furthermore, as these cards use the battery of your PDA, you'll also have ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Preventing Voltage Dips
    ... I am trying to power an GSM module from a 3.6V lithium battery via a couple of FETS and I am finding that the modem won't connect when the battery voltage drops to about 3.6V. ... I have about 1200uF on the modem and I have noticed that the more capacitance I use, the better it is but I would prefer not too use big capacitors on this design. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Preventing Voltage Dips
    ... I am trying to power an GSM module from a 3.6V lithium battery via a couple ... of FETS and I am finding that the modem won't connect when the battery ... voltage drops to about 3.6V. ... You lose 300mV at 2A in the FETS, so that is a Ron of .15 Ohm, that can be ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Preventing Voltage Dips
    ... of FETS and I am finding that the modem won't connect when the battery ... I have measured the voltage at the modem ... GSM modems typically take up to 2A or 1A pulses (depending on frequency ... and it's not really the best thing to try and power ...
    (sci.electronics.design)