Re: adding ceramics across power pins

On Jul 25, 6:32 pm, "Jon Slaughter" <Jon_Slaugh...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why does one have to add ceramic's across power pins along with larger caps
such as tantalum. e.g., 1uF tant an 0.1uF cer?

In theory they just add to 1.1uF and it shouldn't make any difference. It
seems that one should then also add 0.001uF and so on?

In my - moderately humble - opinion, it's all about self-resonant
frequencies. Tantalum's have quite high equivalent series resistances
(ESR), and are perfectly useless at high frequencies, but the ESR is
high enough to damp the much sharper self-resonance of a 100nF ceramic
disk.

http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kfbk3.nsf/vaFeedbackFAQ/53D5333B4453253585256BCD004EBC04/$file/TechTopics%20Vol4No5%20Sep94.PDF

A 10nF "microswave" capacitor can look like a capacitor up to even
higher frequencies.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

  • Re: GIs - the saga continues.
    ... You accept the cable inductance and the cap you wish to put across ... You accept the series resonant circuit will *amplify* ... It will remove all offending frequencies that may cause the GI to ... For dealing with this I wouldn't use a capacitor in parallel across ...
    (uk.rec.waterways)
  • Re: GIs - the saga continues.
    ... You accept the cable inductance and the cap you wish to put across the ... You accept the series resonant circuit will *amplify* the ... It will remove all offending frequencies that may cause the GI to clip ... For dealing with this I wouldn't use a capacitor in parallel across ...
    (uk.rec.waterways)
  • Re: Tone pot problem
    ... The capacitor in the tone control circuit will act as a short circuit at ... frequencies. ... is connected directly between the signal path and ground. ...
    (uk.music.guitar)
  • Re: placing addiional caps across existing caps to reduce noise
    ... happens at higher frequencies. ... to a power plane produced a resonance with a higher impedance than that ... handfull of caps rather than the mountain that are normally used. ... impedance as the capacitor resonates with the power plane. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Ditch That Cell Phone in a Thunderstorm
    ... fairly high, AC frequencies. ... that means they can travel through a capacitor easily. ... Taken together you have capacitive coupling to the inner body. ... I've read a few reports about electrocutions and lighting strikes, and the damage done. ...
    (misc.survivalism)