Re: AM radio receiver - design

As you have seen the problem is generally not the receiver, it's the noise
on the band.
Check out this site, Dallas Lankford has been working at this problem for
many years.
Reviewing his many projects will give you an education on the source of
problems and
some ways to minimize them.
I built one of his phasing unit about 13 years ago, had a lot of fun with
it. Several times
I had a situation where I nulled a station, and then by flipping a switch
could hear another
station on the same frequency. I think he is now 2 maybe 3 generations
past
the one I built.
http://www.kongsfjord.no/dl/dl.htm

Mike

I've seen Lankford's work. A lot of it is dubious at best. I recall he
had a "paper" where adding a lowpass filter in the audio path would
reduce fading.

Please look through the papers and on the URL I postedm and post any
dubious
material you find. Inquiring minds want to know!

The phasing schemes work if the QRM/N is local. I have a ANC-4 for
that purpose.

Phasing schemes are also helpful to null out unwanted stations on the same
frequency
Mike

  • Les Paul Tall Tale...
    ... Les Paul's legend was built by his own hands ... Paul was a "radio guy" — a man who became captivated by broadcasting ... "I built the station myself," he said. ... I knew Paul from earlier ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Look what I stumbled across...
    ... This was my very first shortwave radio I built in kit form. ... would return a QSL card verifying that your information was correct ... My very first one was a station in Des Moines, Iowa - a small, 1kw ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Look what I stumbled across...
    ... This was my very first shortwave radio I built in kit form. ... would return a QSL card verifying that your information was correct ... My very first one was a station in Des Moines, Iowa - a small, 1kw ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Thumper 205205 moves to Epping Ongar Railway!!
    ... just too far from an existing line to make provision of a station ... were built near railway lines were often built with the ... Going back to Stevenage, the main reason that the new station is ... the pre-existing village right next to the pre-bypass route of the A1, ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Thumper 205205 moves to Epping Ongar Railway!!
    ... Ongar is significantly further: about 22 miles as opposed to about 16. ... I think the problem with Ongar was that the line beyond Epping lay ... encourage houses to be built in the area. ... just too far from an existing line to make provision of a station ...
    (uk.railway)