Re: Texas comes into the 21 century

On 07/26/2011 04:23 PM, Rich Webb wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:29:31 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/26/2011 03:15 PM, Rich Webb wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:35:33 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/26/2011 02:04 PM, Bill Sloman wrote:
On Jul 27, 3:10 am, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSensel...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/25/2011 11:51 PM,BillSlomanwrote:

On Jul 26, 7:02 am, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSensel...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/25/2011 11:48 AM, Tim wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 20:25:07 -0600, hamilton wrote:

http://ncse.com/news/2011/07/victory-evolution-texas-006802

I notice that there's mention of intelligent design on the sidebar.

There's something about intelligent design that really bugs me. If you
take it at face value, and then go off and use your experience as a
product designer to do a design review of the human race, you find that
clinging to the notion that we are the best that God could do is an
insult. To God.

If the fundies are right, then God is stupid, or cruel, or thoughtless,
either in a 'don't care' sort of way or as an active practical joker. So
to be a fundamentalist is to firmly believe some very bad things about
God.

Hence, I'm not a fundamentalist.

You aren't the first one to notice that. So far from being a problem
with theism, the failure of people to behave as we know we should is one
of the observations that's basic to the theist view. It's the Fall that
you're leaving out.

The Fall is one of those after-the-fact explanations that raises more
questions than it explains.

Well, I invite you to try following your conscience _exactly_ for a
month, and then think back and see how you did. It's quite an
experience, and clarifies a lot of issues.

Freudian psychoanalysis is a bad enough idea when the analyst is
trained and objective. Self-analysis is a complete waste of time. We
are much too good at fooling ourselves about our aims and motivations
for the exercise to be worth the effort.

I've got an unusually good memory, and from time to time I find myself
recalling morally interesting periods of my life. The only take away
message I can extract from them is that it takes a painfully long time
to see what is going on, when seeing what is going on is going to make
you feel uncomfortable.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

I'm not talking about introspection, I'm talking about goodness. It's
difficult, you see. Even though we know how we ought to act, we don't,
no matter how hard we try. We can dull our consciences over time, or we
can deny them; but try as we may, we can't obey them entirely.

That's one of the main data points supporting theism.

But there are so many (and contradictory) deities to chose from.

One of the early progenitors of YHWH (or possibly a cousin from the
Sumerian side of the family) was a critter named YHW. If I understand it
correctly, that name was pronounced "Yahoo!" Running down a hillside
into battle shouting Yahoo! seems pretty reasonable to me. ;-)

citation: "The Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in
Ancient Israel"

;)

You might start by eliminating the ones that demand human sacrifice,
e.g. Baal-Hammon.

YHWH did okay for himself, though.

{10:38} And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, to
Debir; and fought against it: {10:39} And he took it, and the
king thereof, and all the cities thereof; and they smote them
with the edge of the sword, and utterly destroyed all the
souls that [were] therein; he left none remaining: as he had
done to Hebron, so he did to Debir, and to the king thereof;
as he had done also to Libnah, and to her king. ...

{11:18} Joshua made war a long time
with all those kings. {11:19} There was not a city that made
peace with the children of Israel, save the Hivites the
inhabitants of Gibeon: all [other] they took in battle.
{11:20} For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that
they should come against Israel in battle, that he might
destroy them utterly, [and] that they might have no favour,
but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses.

{11:21} And at that time came Joshua, and cut off the
Anakims from the mountains, from Hebron, from Debir,
from Anab, and from all the mountains of Judah, and from
all the mountains of Israel: Joshua destroyed them utterly
with their cities. {11:22} There was none of the Anakims
left in the land of the children of Israel

Shorter version: YHWH "harden[ed] their hearts" so that they'd fight
against his guys, giving his guys the excuse to destroy them utterly.
The game was rigged.

What a nice guy...

War is not pretty, but it isn't in the same league as burning babies to death so you'll have good crops.

I talk about the Conquest of Canaan on my very very occasional blog, http://firstaidtheology.net/2007/11/21/the-conquest-of-canaan.aspx, so I won't go into it here.

Short version: the goodness of God is visible even here.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs