> > exxos wrote:
> >> Subject says it all really, each power mosfet I find has a internal
> >> diode, anyone suggest and 100V 10A devices without diode ? Nobosy seems
> >> to make um like that :-\
> >
> > MOSFET's don't handle spikes. The diode is to protect from spikes in the
> > opposite direction of the applied voltage, when using coils and such.
Why
> > is this a problem for you?
> >

> Becasue as per my other post, I am using one to soft start a supply rail,
> the problem is when the mosfet turns off, the smoothing capacitor's charge
> is flowing though the diode and keeping the mosfet from turning off..... I
> guess I will just have to block the reverse voltage with another diode..

or perhaps two mosfets in series with one "backwards"?

  • Re: Need for inductive kickback diode
    ... Would good practice be to put the diode in "just in case", ... protect it from a load transient. ... You might use a 30 amp mosfet protected by a 15 amp fuse - but the ... gate can have enough inductance to cause the mosfet to go belly-up. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: mosfet as switch
    ... MOSFET will conduct through that diode, ... THEY PUT 2 N-CHANNEL MOSFET back to back, ... You get conduction through the channel in parallel with the body diode, but one or the other MOSFET must have a body diode reverse biased if the pair is to be an open circuit when the MOSFETs are both off. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: DC motor pwm, mosfet barbecue, etc.
    ... the MOSFET conducts the full motor ... If you use a diode as pictured below, then it will shunt the motor ... cycle (which is, at worst, the compliment of the MOSFET duty cycle; ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: using mosfets as rectifiers?
    ... If you use a MOSFET in a circuit to function similar to a diode in the ... > of dc power from the audio output of a PC soundcard). ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: using mosfets as rectifiers?
    ... If you use a MOSFET in a circuit to function similar to a diode in the ... > of dc power from the audio output of a PC soundcard). ...
    (sci.electronics.design)