Re: Why is AC 60 Hz?

Just thought I'd throw this observation in:
I was recently breadboarding a counter/frequency divider chip using a
32.768KHz TTL oscillator source. The counter chip train was set to
divide by n multiples of 32768, (where n would be
switch-selectable)then roll over to 0 while the "carry out" pin on the
last chip in the train went from high to low for about one clock cycle
(~30.5 microseconds). I had an LED hooked up to the carry out pin. I
set it for 8 second intervals and powered it up. To my surprise, I
could "see" the 15 microsecond flicker every 8 seconds! Maybe more
like it should be worded as "perceive" than "see".
Got me to thinking: How low could I go on the pulse width and still
perceive the flicker? What if I put an inverter between carry out and
the LED, so that the LED transition would be from low to high?
But I was in a hurry to get the project done, so I didn't go any
further.
I'm sure this has been extensively studied, investigating all the
variables(light source, rest interval, light intensity, spectral
output, EEGs, age/sex/ethnic groups, etc. Anybody know of any studies
that have been done or refer me to a source?

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:43 +0000 (UTC), don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

>In article <%Nphe.1351567$6l.1107625@pd7tw2no>, Dwayne wrote:
>>
>>Higher frequencies have higher loss.
>>You body has more resistance to higher frequencies.
>>You eyes can perceive light flicker at 40 Hertz.
>>You nerve system runs at ~40 Hertz.
>>
>>So low frequency is bad for lighting and electrocution. High frequencies are
>>bad for motors. Thus the compromise.
>
> Electrocution has nothing to do with choice of 50-60 Hz, since these
>frequencies are actually close to as bad as it gets for electrocution.
> The way I hear it, 50 and 60 Hz are good for motors. Otherwise the best
>frequency overall is higher.
>
> - Don Klipstein (don@xxxxxxxxx)

  • Re: PIC + DDS = Frequency Synthesizer?
    ... >> felt I could get even higher frequencies without a problem. ... >> pulse a bank of LEDs at high rates. ... > Also, since the tissue is likely to be time-based, not frequency based, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: EBU Technical Review - More pro-DAB Bias
    ... there would be more higher frequencies. ... To leave this tradeoff to the encoder algorithmoften ... Using winamp for this test is also biassed because winamp with it's ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: EBU Technical Review - More pro-DAB Bias
    ... there would be more higher frequencies. ... "People are unable to listen to a sound which have a duration ... More bullshit. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: EBU Technical Review - More pro-DAB Bias
    ... The complexity is not a reason. ... The fact that a triangle can screw up an encoder *obviously* doesn't ... there would be more higher frequencies. ...
    (alt.radio.digital)
  • Re: Help with crystal oscillator (MG-7010SA replacement)?
    ... I have been trying to look for alternatives to this chip, ... modules of different frequencies. ... But then I'd start with a newer FPGA (Spartan-3 at least) which has some form fo ... internal clock manager to generate a range frequencies related to ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)