"electrolysis"

About 30 years ago, I took some of D batteries in series and and connected
copper wire leads to them which I placed in a glass containing holding
some vinegar. I might have added a little salt on the theory that it
might aid conduction. The solution turned bluish in a few hours and
one of the copper wires disappeared. I attributed this to the formation
of copper acetate, but I've heard other opinions on that. I tried similar
experiments on other occasions, sometimes using coins and other metal
objects for the electrodes. A few times I found a kind of reddish sludge
that I decided later might be mostly copper. Now I'm starting to wonder
whether one can do anything with the sludge, such as paint conducting
pathways for circuits on a plastic board. At any rate, this has started
me thinking about the old experiments again but since batteries are
expensive and since I recently, in another thread on sci.electronics,
got interested in AC adaptors, I was wondering what the chances are
that I would electrocute myself if I used the output of a
a NOKIA ACP-7U, with an output of 3.7 VDC and 0.35 A, as the DC source
instead of using batteries (assuming I can figure out how to repair
the AC adaptor first).
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <ara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  • Re: "electrolysis"
    ... I took some of D batteries in series and and connected ... copper wire leads to them which I placed in a glass containing holding ... objects for the electrodes. ... For power, I use an old PC power supply from a dumpster PC, and to limit the ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: "electrolysis"
    ... p.s., Allan, are you still associated with the Media Lab. ... copper wire leads to them which I placed in a glass containing holding ... me thinking about the old experiments again but since batteries are ... got interested in AC adaptors, I was wondering what the chances are ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: Slightly OT: Sharp CE-150 plotter
    ... It's quite hidden where it is but it might be worth the try if everything else fails. ... probably know solonoid's consist of fine copper wire, ... The batteries are far away from it plus the leakage hast just started. ... Somewhere else it was indeed mentioned that the plotter doesn't work from the adaptor alone and dry batteries probably don't deliver enough voltage at the current drawn from them. ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • Re: 9v. battery disposal
    ... Or take two batteries and clip them to each other. ... Christopher A. Young ... of copper wire and a couple of alligator clips. ...
    (alt.home.repair)