Re: "electrolysis"



Allan Adler wrote:


About 30 years ago, I took some of D batteries in series and and connected
copper wire leads to them which I placed in a glass containing holding
some vinegar. I might have added a little salt on the theory that it
might aid conduction. The solution turned bluish in a few hours and
one of the copper wires disappeared. I attributed this to the formation
of copper acetate, but I've heard other opinions on that. I tried similar
experiments on other occasions, sometimes using coins and other metal
objects for the electrodes. A few times I found a kind of reddish sludge
that I decided later might be mostly copper. Now I'm starting to wonder
whether one can do anything with the sludge, such as paint conducting
pathways for circuits on a plastic board. At any rate, this has started
me thinking about the old experiments again but since batteries are
expensive and since I recently, in another thread on sci.electronics,
got interested in AC adaptors, I was wondering what the chances are
that I would electrocute myself if I used the output of a
a NOKIA ACP-7U, with an output of 3.7 VDC and 0.35 A, as the DC source
instead of using batteries (assuming I can figure out how to repair
the AC adaptor first).

I do something a bit similar with washing soda, to de-rust old ironwork,
google will tell you more about this technique.

For power, I use an old PC power supply from a dumpster PC, and to limit the
current, I put an old car headlamp in series (you can use a 'blown'
headlamp as long as one filament is still good) (put the lamp on a
non-flamable support)

Generally I use the 12V 8 Amp output for the electrolytic experiments, but
you might need to put another lamp on the 5V output to keep the power
supply happy since they sometimes won't run without a load on the 5V wires.

Make sure you can't get water into the power supply, and of course be
careful not to touch the AC power wires when your hands are wet.

Chris
.