Re: Sony Handycam Video 8mm - Tape Alignment/Tracking Issue

Bob Shuman wrote:
I have a 10 year old Sony Handycam Video 8mm - Model #CCD-TR91 that has
served us well.  The unit is on it's 4th battery, but still works, kind
of...  I suspect the trouble is with tape alignment/tracking since some
previously recorded events and sometimes new events as well do not display
properly.  Usually I lose half the picture with tracking lines and at times
it also is in Black and White only.

I do not see any electronic tracking adjustments similar to similar vintage
VHS VCRs.  Can anyone provide a reference to a service manual or a tracking
adjustment procedure?  At this point I am inclined to replace the unit with
another since price has come down so much over the years, but before I did,
I wanted to take a shot at aligning it myself.

Thanks in advance for your help.

    Bob

These cameras had a common problem with the tape guides. The guides immediately before and after the video head have a tiny allen key set screw near the bottom which loosens, then the guide moves out of alignment one way when the tape is moving forward, and the other way when it's moving in reverse.
Aligning the guides is a complex process. It involves playing back an alignment tape while connecting an oscilloscope to a test point on the circuit board. The point is in a different place on each camera.
The problem is that if any tapes were recorded while the machine was OUT of alignment, they will no longer play when the machine IS properly aligned.
When the guides are aligned, the set-screws are tightened and it usually never goes out of alignment again.
Now here's the bigger problem - Sony camcorders of this age have a serious problem with capacitors going bad, leaking, burning traces off the circuit board with their acid, etc.
Not two or three caps, more like 100 of them. The amount of labor involved with replacing all of these capacitors makes the camera not economical to repair.

  • Re: How Ma Bell Shelved the Future for 60 Years [telecom]
    ... was a constant battle with precision alignments and cleaning to get the ... I still have one reel-reel stereo audio tape machine from ages ago and I ... I was trained in the 1970's to service magnetic tape equipment using ... alignment tapes etc to get the absolute best ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: Help troubleshooting MCI JH110C tape machine
    ... >tape and input monitoring. ... When you did the alignment, how close did the machine come to making it ... >out repro,bias,io and rec cards with other channels with no luck.. ... Look for a bad erase head, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Camcorder 8mm playback Compatability?
    ... another 8mm camcorder. ... play back properly on any 8mm camcorder that is in proper alignment ... The alignment is critical and the tape guides must be ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Bad head in my reel to reel?
    ... the tape will give you the service you need. ... for adjusting the head azimuth alignment. ... So just buying a tape won't be the end of your expenses. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: OT - Turntable tracking question
    ... this problem with other sets I am transferring - should I increase the ... increasing the vertical tracking force ... damage which will mar playback considerably. ... cartridge alignment can be a factor. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)