CTC187 remote control doesn't function/ breaks up picture

I have a 32 inch RCA with a CT187CH3 chassis. I got it 2nd hand so I
don't know any of it's service history. Had no picture or sound got,
Resoldered multiple spots on board and then got an hourglass shaped
raster. Resoldered a diode CR4403 I think and got picture back.
Picture looks great tunes and adjusts fine with manual
buttons on front of set.

But when I use a working RCA remote on the set..doesn't matter if I hit

volume up/down or channel up/down I get the same result. Picture
breaks up and sound cuts out..sometimes picture/screen blacks out..as
soon as I let off the button picture returns on the same station and
volume setting as before. I get the same result regardless what key on
the remote I hit.

I think I may have caused a solder bridge somewhere...Anybody have an
idea where? or any other ideas. Like what pins on an IC might control
the remote? and be a problem? I did some soldering around the outside
of the tuner grounds? could I have screwed something up there?

I tried to clear up some potential solder bridges with some solder
wick...and the remote did work for about 5 minutes then went right back

to same behavior.

I am a novice so give me advice in detail.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cowboys herding cats
    ... source@xxxxxxxxxx "David Harmon" wrote: ... the TV remote or the converter box remote has any such button. ... picture. ... Since most british TV is analog broadcast in ...
  • Re: OT: Why should I buy an HDTV? IMO the "Bad" outweighs the "Good"
    ... reminds me of the TV my parents had when I was growing up. ... I already had a universal remote to control all my ... to some extent the picture that you see on the screen is only as ... I wasn't able to adjust the picture ...
  • Re: hd sides are compressed
    ... cbs, its just the normal view, I remote to the next chnl and CBS ... The picture is great...but the heads of the actor seem ... If it's OTA, then your remote for the TV has a FORMAT setting somewhere. ... The odd thing is, if it is really an HD channel and you have a wide-screen TV, it will normally detect that and always show the correct format - the options are usually for fitting a normal channel's image in the wide-screen TV. ...
  • Re: Sony KD-28DX51 IDTV
    ... > a remote for about 20 quid. ... Only thing that I can fault is that the picture geometry isn't quite perfect ... with black bars to the side. ... Especially not Zoidberg!" ...
  • Re: Multiple issues with Media Center -- help!
    ... The cable that Toshiba uses is actually a Sony designed cable now used in tons of products. ... It is impossible to get a truly good picture using any analogy tv interface. ... You need to use a digital interface, and I'm not sure that the laptop has such an output. ... Even though I've done everything that is required, the media center remote wont change channels. ...