Re: Seeking Old Overlay for Quantum Hard Disk Drive

[This followup was posted to sci.electronics.repair and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <42fca1f1.6521355@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bpetria@xxxxxxxxxxx
says...
> I have a portable Compaq 386 computer I use for data logging.
> It uses a standard size HDD. Before I removed a Quantum 750M
> HDD from an old desktop PC, I partitioned it with two partitions, one
> 520M and the remainder was used for the second partition. Each
> partition was formatted and a MSDos 6.2 OS installed. Of course,
> the 520M partition is the "active" partition. I removed the HDD and
> installed it in the 386 computer. The BIOS cannot "see" the second
> partition. I have searched the web for older overlays, but I couldn't find
> any. Note: A new overlay will not "run" in this old 386 computer.

Partitions are not handled by the BIOS. They are handled by the
operating system.

Many older BIOS's had a 512M limit. If you search around, you might be
able to find an older overlay that will work with 386's. Some older
overlay programs worked by creating a non-standard extended partition,
so you might have to re-create that. Disk Manager (often called Disk
Mangler) was the big name back then.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

  • Re: Seeking Old Overlay for Quantum Hard Disk Drive
    ... >>It uses a standard size HDD. ... >>520M and the remainder was used for the second partition. ... the BIOS might not support any hard drives larger than 512 MB. ... I used a 1.08G HDD with a 386, using a drive overlay. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Install of Window XP Ser. Pak 2 will not allow access to 200 GB dr
    ... This non partitioned NTFS file system drive before the XP install had about ... It seems that the OnTrack Disk Manager "overlay" control module has ... remove the 31.5GB partition and recreate the new ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Will Partitioning lose data?
    ... with Vista, but I hated it...but that's another story). ... 250GB HDD. ... If I use Disk Manager to add another partition, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 21A error during boot
    ... A RAM overlay does not store any writes to the EWF partition (it ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: EWF Disk Overlay Behavior on Power Loss
    ... - Manualy select EWF menu and to selecect overlay discard option manualy. ... > function in the same way as a write to the main partition would when EWF is ... > writing data at the time of power loss, there is a chance of that data ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)