Re: ionic breeze ion transformer diode

szekeres@xxxxxxxx (GregS) writes:

> In article <1132540440.041940.285360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "HarryHydro" <harryhydro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Hi Folks:
> > I have two Sharper Image Ionic Breeze units. These worked good
> >when they worked. One broke about a year after I bought it, the second
> >broke just recently. Actually, they both seem to be making high
> >voltage, but now neither are moving air. I suspect the rectifier
> >diodes in the transformers are shorted. They both just hiss. The last
> >working unit hissed and pumped air, but now it just hisses, like the
> >other one. I'm hunting for a supplier for a replacement transformer.
> >Also, is it me or do these things suck when it comes to reliability?
> >;-) I did run them 24/7.
> >
> >Thanks Folks!
> >Harry
> >

> If the diodes are shorted, I would think a 10KV would
> work. Ionizers usually run up over 5KV. DC Ionic breezes
> can be measured. A Neon lamp with a dual electrode wand
> flashes as electrons are collected. A digital DC voltmeter
> can also be used. Hold one probe with one hand, hold
> the other NEAR but not touching the device. The voltage
> will increase as charges are collected. If it putting out AC,
> there will be no charge collected. I've had trouble lately
> looking for suppliers of suitable transformers. Ozone
> generators use AC, not DC.

They may need to be fast recovery/high frequency diodes.

  • Re: ionic breeze ion transformer diode
    ... > I have two Sharper Image Ionic Breeze units. ... One broke about a year after I bought it, ... looking for suppliers of suitable transformers. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • ionic breeze ion transformer diode
    ... I have two Sharper Image Ionic Breeze units. ... One broke about a year after I bought it, ... I'm hunting for a supplier for a replacement transformer. ... Thanks Folks! ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: ionic breeze ion transformer diode
    ... I have two Sharper Image Ionic Breeze units. ... One broke about a year after I bought it, ... I'm hunting for a supplier for a replacement transformer. ... I'd try a microwave oven diode, they're cheap, and most are rated for ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Im baaaaaack.......sort of.
    ... I have missed you good folks! ... to quilt or sew or do much of anything. ... If it ain't broke, you're not trying. ... --Carolyn McCarty ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Genesis g-switch installed upside down
    ... >they also dropped the NOAA N-Prime weather satellite on the floor and broke ... You folks should get off your high horses and actually study some ...
    (sci.space.shuttle)