Re: Identifying Scrap Metal in old VCR's

Unless you're bringing in a truckload of scrap with the type of metal
certified, you'll get the lower prices. Only specific alloys qualify
for the higher prices and you're probably not equipped to do the assay
to determine the actual content of your metal. 50 cents a pound is a
decent price for scrap aluminum.

Rather than cheating you, the local recycler is doing you a favor
buying your tiny quantities of mixed metals. Sorting that stuff is
hardly worth their time.

Chris F. wrote:
Every spring, as I do my cleaning, I take the time to strip the metal from all the old appliances I discard. I remove the aluminum parts and strip anything that may be attached to them. The recycler paid me about $.50/lb for the aluminum last time, but looking around on the net I see there are many different grades of recyclable aluminum. In particular, one type called Cast Aluminum was listed for over $2 /lb! I'm wondering if VCR heads and cylinders qualify as cast aluminum. How about heat sinks from old TV's? And finally, what about the pieces of brass that the VCR rotary heads screw into, what would these be classified as?
Thanks for any advice. I'd like to be sure I'm not getting cheated the next time I take a load of stuff to the recycler......

  • Re: First Project
    ... needn't be a damn fool to ram it, ... aluminum may not ALWAYS be a complete fool; he or she may have a death ... yourself might not make a flint out of wood or non sparking metals ...
    (rec.pyrotechnics)
  • Sleigh bells ring for price of copper
    ... Buyer acquires up to 90% of copper on London Metal Exchange as demand from China and others sends value to record high ... A mystery trader has accumulated up to 90% of the copper on the London Metal Exchange amid a dramatic rise in the price of the metal, driven by demand from China and other emerging economies. ... Other commodity prices also rose today. ... "Europe might be facing Arctic-type temperatures, but the base metals markets are heating up. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Rising price of zinc and the Lincoln cent
    ... The real problem could come if metals prices rise so high that it would ... pennies no longer contain much copper. ... Asked if the mint had a backup plan for what it will do if zinc prices ...
    (rec.collecting.coins)
  • Re: Cutting off Gravity to travel
    ... effects metals as metals effect magnetic field while non metals all ... Why is it that metals like aluminum which cannot be magnetized can be ... The coil has little power in its hollow center ... power then to block gravity to create motion as the movie suggested. ...
    (sci.astro)
  • Re: Need DOM tube , Aircraft 2024-T3 ..
    ... Extrusions and sheet stock over .032 can’t be rolled, it has to be crated, and shipping will be a major part of the expense. ... Thanks to all for your help in finding aluminum in the Atlanta area. ... Dillsburg Aeroplane is better known for steel tubing, but they also have aluminum sheet. ... They mainly deal in used metals, but sell new aluminum as well... ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)