How to Clean Audio Cassette Heads

I bought a used AM/FM/Cassette deck for my car. Unfortunately, the
heads, capstans, and pinch rollers were filthy. A cleaning tape barely
made a dent in the grime, so I cleaned everything gently with Q-tips and
rubbing alcohol. But there is still visible corrosion on the tape head,
causing playback to sound muffled (in one direction only; in the other
direction, the music sounds fine; it's a reversible deck). I have run
the (wet) cleaning tape through the machine about 15 times, to no
avail.

Does anyone know of a safe method to remove corrosion from audio
cassette tape heads? Not sure if I'm savvy enough to try to remove the
tape head from my old player and put it in the new player. Maybe I just
need to buy another used deck from a more reputable seller.

Many thanks.

--
Farmer Bill

  • Re: tape deck setup question
    ... I have demagnetized and cleaned the heads a few ... > I would suggest to demagnetize and clean the heads before going ... use a tape cassette that is not very old. ... > head height, head postion, guide adjustments, pinch roller pressure, ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Serious Mini-DV Question
    ... recordings at any speed having playback problems. ... I believe that the Sony authorized shop replaced the head drum, but they apparently didn't know how to align it with the tape like the factory does. ... The main reason I thought it was a maintenance error was that the glitch shows up most times in only one frame of audio. ... If it were faulty tape, or a circuit board, or dirty heads, seems it would be whole bunches of frames, not just one. ...
    (rec.video.production)
  • Re: Sony TC-758 reel to reel wont play
    ... There are 5 buttons on the right of the machine which control stop, play, fast ... reverse play and rewind. ... playback heads don't move the tape forward so it will play. ... If you take off the cover over the heads, there are two "poles" that the cover ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: transferring cassettes to CD - Plusdeck 2C or other options
    ... assumed it was an old tape and just took ... took a look at the play head and rollers in the deck (which is pretty ... Clean your heads every time you put a new tape in. ... would you ask the seller to check, to make sure the rubber is in OK ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: TK70 tape drive problem - Success !
    ... cleaning the heads - they do take a lot of cleaning until the swabs stay ... getting the device error count to zero. ... > after closing the handle on tape (either a fresh one for an init or a used ...
    (comp.os.vms)