Re: trickle charger

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:a2juk2dg6i908js54aah9bgon4jntfug8o@xxxxxxxxxx
In terms of not damaging my motorcycle battery, which must remain
outside but unused this winter, is there a real difference between my
1 amp battery charger that I got used from my 80-year old cousin in
1967 versus the new ones they sell now that say they regulate the
voltage as the battery reaches full charge?

Is there a benefit to me to buy one of the new ones, when the old one
still works fine.

<snip>

Get an Optimate II, it also includes a de-sulphate charging mode and
constantly checks battery condition when left on charge.

My spare bike didn't get used since the previous MOT, and although the
battery was new for that MOT the bike had not been started once in a whole
year, when I got the bike out for the last MOT the battery was nearly flat
and just starting to sulphate - a couple of days on the Optimate and the
bike started first time.

Any good battery maintenance charger should do something similar, the
Optimate uses a combination of current limiting and voltage limiting to
recover sulphated batteries and continually charge without excessive gassing
(electrolyte loss).

  • Optimate killed my battery?
    ... The garage doesn't have power, so took the battery out, plugged it ... into an Optimate, charged it up, green lights, everything fine. ... to recall reading about a 10% drop in charge per month. ... Put battery in bike, everything's ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Honda XL 600R
    ... i have not actually checked the choke cable...will do that. ... on my bike does not hold a charge but i have ordered a new one from ... when taking the existing battery out to put it on charge i ...
    (rec.motorcycles.tech)
  • Re: Caravan for working away from home
    ... Most sites have a 28 day legal limit, but if you are only living in the van ... have to recharge the battery somehow. ... You should always charge your ... for wind generators. ...
    (uk.rec.caravanning)
  • Re: Glider Batteries and Chargers
    ... setting the bulk charge rate to match different size batteries. ... C is the battery capacity in Ah.). ... mode" (constant high voltage or a type of current limited high voltage ... doing a quick charge of your 7Ah VRLA battery at the model field but ...
    (rec.aviation.soaring)
  • Concours is Gone
    ... He still wanted the bike after checking it out, ... which was in the garage. ... I had ordered the battery thru the Kawai dealer. ... it arrived and asked the wife if she wanted them to charge it for us. ...
    (rec.motorcycles)