how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery

Here's the next item on my "to-fix" list while home for the holidays...

I have before me a Motorola E815 cell phone which will not charge. The
battery is fine, just the phone won't make a connection to the charger.
I found an old LG cell phone with battery, which works fine.

Since every single cell phone I've ever seen uses a 3.7V Li-Ion
battery, and since I don't have a programmable voltage supply with me,
I figured I could use the LG cell phone to charge the Motorola battery.
The LG cell phone and its battery have 4 contacts:

| | | |
NEG NEG MYSTERY POS

and the Motorola cell phone has 4 contacts as well:

| | | |
NEG NEG MYSTERY POS

I figured I could just connect the +/- terminals of the LG phone to
those of the Motorola battery, and the Positive terminals together, and
then the LG phone would see it has a drained battery and merrily charge
it up.

Not so! When I did this, the LG phone said "Use genuine battery!" and
refused to charge it. WTF?!?! It seems like there's some kind of
"counterfeit detection" circuit in the battery to make it harder to
make cheap knockoff batteries. I assume this comes from the "mystery"
contact. Is there information somewhere on how to fool this idiotic
counterfeit detection circuit?

Thanks,

Dan

  • Re: Are bicycle components designed by second-rate engineers?
    ... The average life of a common cell phone is about 18 months. ... Smartphones do better at about 24 months (length of contract term). ... Battery and charging failures happen, ... longevity is 100.0% full charge and in a hot/warm location. ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery
    ... I have before me a Motorola E815 cell phone which will not charge. ... I found an old LG cell phone with battery, ... I figured I could use the LG cell phone to charge the Motorola battery. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: how does a cell phone detect a "genuine" battery
    ... I have before me a Motorola E815 cell phone which will not charge. ... I found an old LG cell phone with battery, ... I figured I could use the LG cell phone to charge the Motorola battery. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Does Cabir virus infect Motorola V551 Cell Phone?
    ... My Motorola V551 Cell Phone is only about 3 months old and I charge it ... battery back up and the battery doesn't seem to have a good standby time. ... When I charge it fully, the charge doesn't seem to last for more than 5 to 6 ... Is it likely that my Motorola V551 is infected with a virus like "CABIR" ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)
  • Does Linux USB enumeration lock up Motorola cell phones?
    ... Does plugging a Motorola cell phone into a Linux machine's USB ... My Tracfone Motorola W260 phone was low on battery, ... to charge a cell phone via USB. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)