Re: Sony CRT TV Problem

"Art" <plotsligt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mfGdna2cF_Axbw3bnZ2dnUVZ_qupnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Smear going away with diminished contrast and brightness tells the
experienced technician that the emission of the picture tube (CRT) has
diminished to the point that it can now longer produce a quality picture.
Find out what the CRT will cost to be replaced then decide if the 11 year
old set is worth it or if you may be wiser to invest in something newer,
love the old relic or not!!

No way, yes those symptoms are characteristic of a worn CRT but he stated
clearly that the problem occurred suddenly. Weak CRTs wear out over a long
period of time, they don't go from bright and beautiful to smeared and dim
in a day. There are many other problems that can mimic a worn CRT, since the
set took a whack I'd bet money it's nothing but a fracture in one of the
boards.

If only I had a dollar for every TV I've fixed that someone had diagnosed as
a bad tube that was actually something else.

  • Re: sony triniton 28" tv fell off
    ... >> My 28" Sony Trinitron TV fell off to its face from about a feet's ... Audio is ... >> I think the picture tube is gone but I want to be sure about it. ... > CRT is damaged/shifted. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: KV-2783R
    ... What you are describing is usually the CRT that is going defective. ... know the proper specifications and information. ... sound for 2 seconds and then go out with sound of snow and the picture ... So I have a question is it my picture tube ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Toshiba TV problem?
    ... I've read say to just short out the caps and picture tube. ... For the CRT, use a high wattage (not for power but to hold off the high ... Do I need to go to an electronics store and buy some resistors before I ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Zenith B25A242 TV
    ... CRT very common problem with LG/Zenith televisions. ... it is very possible the picture tube is simply gone. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Recommendations please?
    ... > If you like high a quality picture, sharpness, high contrast, good even ... > Plasma or LCD TV under about £ 2500 will basically disappoint you compared ... > to a high quality brand of CRT picture. ... >From what I have seen CRT TVs are rapidly disappearing from the market place. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)