Re: Storage Oscilloscope Tek 434 (was Re: Repair broken Tek 485 or buy good used 2465/A/B?)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:02:59 -0800 (PST), fazeka@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

OK, I have a question for the group. Gonna deviate a little here from
the original post...

What is a "Storage Oscilloscope"? Is there anything it can't do that a
normal oscilloscope can (for mostly audio purposes)?

I have a chance to get a Tek 434 locally. Anything I should know about
it? Any big problems with it?

Also, would the probes be compatible between the 485 and the 434?

Thanks,
Chris

Usually a 'storage' scope will allow you to save a trace that is one
time and keep it displayed for a long(er) period of time. That is it
won't fade out.

There are some downsides, but generally a storage scope will do all
that a regular scope will do, and then some.

Most scope general purpose probes are compatible. Speciality probes
are a different issue however. When I say compatible, we're talking an
industry standard and often probles from other makes of scopes will
work just fine with whatever you have. You will have to adjust the
comphensation for a 10x probe, and sometimes they don't comphensate
properly for a diffent scope, but generally you are OK.

(I use a storage scope for my general purpose work...)

  • Re: Oscilloscope for SMPS design?
    ... A storage model is a big plus when working on ... suffcient.Storage circuitry is more complexity to fail,and the ... My 7633 scope is nearly 40 years old and still going strong so its not ... One cool thing about the digitals is that you can freeeze an ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Newbie question -- dereferencing access
    ... early release before it goes out of scope. ... If I wanted to discard the storage of an Unbounded_String variable S at some point in the program, before S goes out of scope, I would assign S:= Null_Unbounded_String. ... This is likely to discard the storage for S, but I think the Ada standard does not guarantee that it happens at the assignment; ... Niklas Holsti ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Advice on a new Exchange 2003, dual-site installation please.
    ... I'd seriously push to change the scope now. ... Do an interim migration to 2003 ... storage and a clustered back-end using SAN ... I'd prefer to put the bridgehead on the front-end to ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Moon Viewing Continued
    ... From that newbie question of what's the best first telescope to the advanced what's the best telescope for a given purpose. ... For a purpose as spcialized as moon viewing, there are still numerous factors at play which contribute and detract from the view. ... I'm leaning toward a Russian MN or MCT OR a Meade RC (OTA only) 8-10". ... Quality can vary considerably from scope to scope unless you buy the very upper end where they certify the optics. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: focal ratio question
    ... Assuming both are the same aperture the 5.9 would be ... the better general purpose scope, ... Sharper images, slightly more ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)