Re: Refrigerator getting warming then fixes itself.

"Jay" <jay_silverstein@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Dec 7, 9:51 pm, Meat Plow <m...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:19:27 -0800, Jay wrote:
For the last week our refrigerator/freezer was getting successively
warmer each day. I looked
on line and thought it may be the defrost timer/thermostat. I open up
the back panel (side-by-side Frigidaire )
and saw that there was no frost build up on the coils. We had a guy
from G&G appliance come in and he
QUICKLY determined that there was a leak in the system or a
restriction in the condenser. He said to junk it, it would be to
costly to fix.

However the next day (today) it is back to normal. The freezer is ice-
cold again and the fridge is cold.

I called the guy back and he said that if there was a leak, moisture
could have gotten into the condenser and caused
the restriction. Once it warmed up enough the moisture freed itself
and the fridge must have started to work again.
He still stood by his decision to junk the fridge and that there is
still a leak that could come back in 1 week or 6 mos.

My question is, if there is a leak, how could it have fixed itself and
cooled itself back off... wouldn't the refrigerant have dissipated?
Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to get a new one!

If it had a leak, the freon would leak out. If there was moisture in the
system it could cause an ice restriction in the evaporator (cooling coil)
then go away when it warmed up. Don't know what other mubo jumbo the G&G
dude told you but what I said is the way it is, period.

Yeah, that's basically what he he said, I just couldn't remember it
right.
Is it possible that it would come back?

Since the problem obviously isn't a leak (since it does operate properly on
occasion), the problem must be an obstruction within the sealed system. I've
had one refrigerator and two automobile A/C units that had the same symptoms,
all with the same root cause. The problem in all was a broken desiccant bag,
which allowed the chunks of desiccant to roam freely inside the system. The
bits of the desiccant would restrict the Freon and not allow proper cooling.

The only remedy for the refrigerator was replacement, since the cost of repair
was close to the cost of a new box. The auto repairs involved opening the
system, and back flushing to clear the desiccant out of the system, replacement
of the dryer and recharging. Not cheap, but the only recourse available.

In your case, unless the problem is properly diagnosed and repaired, it will
continue to plague you, and always at the most inopportune times.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

.