Re: tuner has "noisy" tuning at bottom end of FM dial

I have cleaned the tuning capacitor on 3 different occassions using
various methods, including compressed air, circuit board cleaner, and
a combination of both. Every time I clean it, it works great for
awhile, then goes back to acting badly again.

Air, and typical circuit-board cleaners will remove dust, and a lot of
surface contaminants. Neither will remove oxide from the contacts, or
lubricate the contacts to prevent metal-to-metal galling.

Any thoughts about this? I suspect there have been previous posts on
the issue, but I didn't find anything...

After you have cleaned it a spot of Vaseline on the wipers will keep it
that way for a lot longer. I use an old ink refill syringe and needle.
You have to give it a good squeeze but it puts lube right where you
want it!

You can buy commercial "tuner clearer/lubricant" sprays, which I
believe combine a cleaning solvent with a light petroleum oil that
remains after the solvent evaporates and acts as a lubricant.

I've also had good luck using some DeOxIt spray on the contact
surfaces of air-variable capacitors, roller inductors, and the like.
It does a decent job at cleaning and deoxidizing the contact surfaces,
and provides some lubrication and protection for the surfaces. A
noisy roller inductor I flushed-and-cleaned four or five years ago
remains clean and noise-free today.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> AE6EO

  • Re: Gauge block care and useage
    ... I usually wipe the working surfaces on a clean sheet of paper. ... The gauge blocks at work are subject to an environment rife with abrasive dust, as well as what some would call abusive use, and they still wring. ... whether or not my import calipers are reading ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: ot: Paging the Spanish Speakers
    ... Clean toilet seats / surfaces ... Clean Windows and Mirrors ... Bathroom use - Floors ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Cold galvanizing
    ... CG is to coat clean surfaces or hopeless ... rust hardens and basically goes no further. ... thinned white rusto primer-2 coats-will save the frame for several ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: ot: Paging the Spanish Speakers
    ... Clean toilet seats / surfaces ... Clean Windows and Mirrors ... Bathroom use - Floors ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Gauge block care and useage
    ... I usually wipe the working surfaces on a clean sheet of paper. ... the wring the best using this simple cleaning process. ... The gauge ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)